Toro 328D wont start when hot

mervmaster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys,

i have a 90's toro 328D that starts up fine, runs fine, and works ok overall.

When you turn it off once its reached temperature, it cranks but wont start up again.

After its cooled, it'll start and run no problem, as usual.

If theres a fuel shut off or a safety switch gone bad, i cant find it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-Merv

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually this will be a problem with the valve adjustments or the oil cut off switch.
When cold all the oil is in the sump & switch will allow engine to run
When hot there is a lot of oil everywhere else in the engine & the oil level in the sump can drop low enough to trigger the cut off switch.

mikebarber

Threads
I have a Mitsushitty 4 cyl diesel powered Toro and it has a manually operated glow plug system maybe yours has newer glow plug system that is automatically controlled and doesn't activate the glow plugs when warm (which you wouldn't need them warm) Years ago I had a small diesel pickup and I defeated the automatic warm glow plug defeat so that it hit glow plugs every time doing that made "all" enginge starts very quick My point in this long drawn out bunch of B/S is that your engine is fairly tired and has somewhat lower compression and needs glow plugs to make enough heat to light the fire ??? might look at crankcase breather tube for blowby? You could also be pulling a vacuum on the fuel line that when running the fuel pump can overcome that vacuum but at cranking speeds it won't fuel filter ? pinched line? and sitting for a time allows fuel to catch up and ease the vacuum ?? Just a few ideas I would try if I had your unit I also assumed yours is is a diesel from the D in model number When it won't start check the fuel injection pump wire for 12 volts could be a connection in the harness that just doesn't pass enough current to work the internal solenoid Sorry to waste so much space on my reply Gary

mikebarber

Threads
Toros also have a cutoff switch in the hydraulic tank but that would normally shut you down when running maybe contacts in it are soft and will pass enough current to keep engine running but not enough to pull in the solenoid from the full off position ???

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
When it's hot, does it put out any white smoke while cranking?