Toro 20333 personal pace will not pull up a hill

leemuse

Forum Newbie
Threads
On level ground the self propelled system does a very nice job but whenever I start up a hill I loose virtually 100% of the self propelled assistance. I have tightened the cable and that will help some for a short period of time before I loose Personal Pace on hills again. My mower is 2 years old and it has been doing this from the first time I used it.

I am hoping that someone on the forum has found a way to correct this problem. I really like the lawn mower but I am going to have to replace is if I can't get the mower to pull up hills.

I spoke to Toro Customer Service and they told me that the mower was not made to work on hills.

Lee

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
On level ground the self propelled system does a very nice job but whenever I start up a hill I loose virtually 100% of the self propelled assistance. I have tightened the cable and that will help some for a short period of time before I loose Personal Pace on hills again. My mower is 2 years old and it has been doing this from the first time I used it.

I am hoping that someone on the forum has found a way to correct this problem. I really like the lawn mower but I am going to have to replace is if I can't get the mower to pull up hills.

I spoke to Toro Customer Service and they told me that the mower was not made to work on hills.

Lee

The toro self propel is really a one wheel drive system friction moves the other wheel I bet turning one way is easier than the other.

No the personal pace I have also does not work going up hills the left wheel is your power wheel if you angle is so your power wheel takes most of the weight it helps. This is one place where I have always been disapointed with my toro but have come to terms with.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Lee

Have you tried replacing the cable and belt, being two years old it may be stretched to the point it's not giving you the proper adjustment.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you tried replacing the cable and belt, being two years old it may be stretched to the point it's not giving you the proper adjustment.

At the begining of this year I replaced my cable belt and drive wheels adjusted everything corectly. The transmision just does not have enough power. I have the same model it does a little better when I run it WOT

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The toro self propel is really a one wheel drive system friction moves the other wheel I bet turning one way is easier than the other. Where did you get this idea????

Personal Pace is a two wheel drive system, simple drive gear attached to a common shaft, driving both wheels. If the wheels are not both driving, the non driving wheel needs to have the drive gear and/or key repaired. Toro Customer Support said not for hills??? If the hill is steep, no mower will go up on it's own. Mine goes up a 45 degree hill with some assistance. I'll bet you need to replace a stretched belt.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The toro self propel is really a one wheel drive system friction moves the other wheel I bet turning one way is easier than the other. Where did you get this idea????

Personal Pace is a two wheel drive system, simple drive gear attached to a common shaft, driving both wheels. If the wheels are not both driving, the non driving wheel needs to have the drive gear and/or key repaired. Toro Customer Support said not for hills??? If the hill is steep, no mower will go up on it's own. Mine goes up a 45 degree hill with some assistance. I'll bet you need to replace a stretched belt.

The drive gear looks fine and the key is intact. When I first got mine I replaced the key as that's what I thought. When that didn't work I took it to a shop and that's what they told me. Now I am thinking about asking them again... they have done work for me before and seemed to be honest :/

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is the gear driving the wheel installed correctly. If put on backwards it will not drive. Yes, it can go on backwards.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the gear driving the wheel installed correctly. If put on backwards it will not drive. Yes, it can go on backwards.

Ill take it to that shop ill be by there tomorrow I'm interested to see what he says it has always done this since I bought it.

leemuse

Forum Newbie
Threads

Lee

I ended up replacing this Personal Pace Toro with a Honda mower. The Honda mower will pull itself and me up the hill but I had to push the Toro up the hill.

I am going to give the Toro to my son-in-law. He has a flat yard.

Lee

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ill take it to that shop ill be by there tomorrow I'm interested to see what he says it has always done this since I bought it.

Took it back to the shop he chaged me another 60 dollars to look at it said nothing was wrong with it. Also said I cannot take it back there with the throttle cable on he doesn't want to be liable.

Needless to say I'm going to a different dealer am posting negative comment on yelp and going to look at it my self this weekend.... I always thought that's how it was there is 3 years of annoyance that could have been avoided