to tube or not to tube, that is the question

keakar

Threads
i have been fighting my butt off with a new tire for an hour now. they must press them flat when they are made because for the life of me i cant get it to seal on the bead.

i even used a 2" ratchet strap to pull the tire in but its tight against the rim all the way around and the bead still wont seal so i put a tube in it.

why do i need to put a tube in a brand new tire?

getting old tires back on the rim is easy to do with a ratchet strap but not with brand new tires

if i have to put a tube in a brand new tire then whats the point of even buying a new tire, i can put a tube in those dry rot cracked tires if thats the case

i can be the only one who is feeling this way

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have had problem getting some new tires to accept air pressure too that appeared to be seated then I started using bead sealer which seems to help. The problem new tires is how they are shipped causing problems.

keakar

Threads
I have had problem getting some new tires to accept air pressure too that appeared to be seated then I started using bead sealer which seems to help. The problem new tires is how they are shipped causing problems.
well its not a sealing problem, its a bead so close not even touching the rim issue

keakar

Threads
i meant its the tire is not opening up enough to even touch both beads to have any chance to seal

i guess in the future im gonna hafta put tubes in the tires and fill with air to stretch the tire beads out, and let them sit in the sun like that for a week or so first before even trying to mount them, but its not like you know that far ahead or have that much time to wait and i cant afford to buy new tires just to sit around until one day i might need one

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Probably safer than the old ether trick...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Many of the tires we receive are shaped like squares for easier packing. Couple of tricks we use to install new tires. 1. As soon as any tire comes in, it gets either put in the furnace room in the winter or out in the sun. 2. Depending on how out of shape it is, many times we will insert an old tube into the tire as it is warming up. This gets it closer to a round surface. 3. Every new tire get bead sealer when installed, right from the beginning and all rims get wire brushed smooth.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably safer than the old ether trick...
It took a while for the hair on my right arm and the back of my head to grow back. That episode is what prompted me to buy the bead seater.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Every rim gets wire brushed and the inside area gets a heavy coat of spray enamel a new valve stem and bead sealer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same as the others
Tyre out in the sun with a old tube in it or stuffed with paper, till it gets back some shape .
I try to get my customers to buy Carslyle Tyres rather than cheap Asian ones as they are not stuffed into containers for the cheapest possible shipping costs.
The line used is "a tyre will last 20 years so that extra $25 is just a touch over $ 1 / year or 0.05¢ a mow ."
The other trick is I don't charge fitting for quality tyres and I do charge fitting cheap tyres .
When challenged about this the answer is the expensive tyre will fit easily where as the cheap tyre will not and take better than an hour to get on the wheel .