TIRES? 1) grippy yet turf-friendly mowing? 2) best traction for winter snowthrowing?

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
  • / TIRES? 1) grippy yet turf-friendly mowing? 2) best traction for winter snowthrowing?
I currently have the chevron/bar-tread drive tires on my 721D but would like something more turf-friendly during mowing season that still has good grip for sidehill mowing. I have a set of Carlisle All-Trail tires on my GT235 JD and wondered if anyone has these on their 'Hopper???

Also looking for best mud/snow traction drive tires for winter time snow throwing/plowing. Are my chevrons the best option or are there other choices that perform better? I don't have a problem swapping between seasons.

I was wondering if anyone had tried any ATV tires or the skid steer amphibious type tire (Interco Aqua Tread). just mulling over some options before winter finally sets in.

Any practical advice you can offer is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / TIRES? 1) grippy yet turf-friendly mowing? 2) best traction for winter snowthrowing?
Cheng Shin C 769 Tire - Turf Tire is Great on turf & the Best snow tire I have ever ran.
Have never had any problem with mud, But I generally do not get into that much mud. The round shoulder for easy turning and minimal turf damage can Not be beat. Can be a 'little' pricey but Worth every bit. :smile:KennyV

BWH

Threads
I have used a snowblower on my 612 Grasshopper since 1992 and found from the get-go that a set of tire chains were the olny way to go. The biggest problem is when your carring the blower in transport you get around real well but when you lower it to the float position traction is a problem and even worse if on an incline without chains. I was concerned about how rough of ride the chains would be but that was never a problem, wearing the chains were a concern but I get many year out of them depending on the year.

Turf tires are by far the most effective with chains bar tires seem to eat up the chains plus will scar up a drive/sidewalk way worse.

I have never put the snowblower on my 721 because I always had plenty of power on the 612 converted to 14hp. plus the smaller machine gets around real well.

I have noticed that if you back into deeper snow or swing the machine around into deeper snow you can get smow on the belts and will have slippage for a few seconds until you burn the water off.

All in all its a great machine capable of blowing tons of snow per minute.

OUTDOOR CONCEPTS

Threads
We are big fans of the Kendra Super Turf tire. They hold hills great and get plenty of traction in the snow! Plus they are easy on turf!

Threads
We are big fans of the Kendra Super Turf tire. They hold hills great and get plenty of traction in the snow! Plus they are easy on turf!

Yep I saw those Kendra Super Turf tires they look like a good traction tire that wont destroy the turf. Has anyone tried Kenda scorpion atv tires?

OUTDOOR CONCEPTS

Threads
We have never used them. They look like a good option tho.

A_tank96

Threads
Threads
I go with with Carlisle Turf Masters. I like them a lot, and they wear slowly.

Those are good tires too. They come factory on alot of mower brands.

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Well, after a LOT of comparison shopping online I finally took the plunge and picked up a set of new tires for the summer mowing season. The bar tread tires that the mower came with have about worn down to roundies and I was slipping and sliding quite a bit these first couple of mowings. I wanted tires that were more turf-friendly yet still offered good traction in occasional wet/muddy conditions and solid bite while sidehill mowing, which I have lots of. I settled on Duro Desert X Country tires. They are sort of a cross between the Carlisle All Trail and HD Field Trax tires. I had a devil of a time finding something that would fit on the stock Hopper 8" rims. Got these in 21x12x8 so they're only an inch wider and it looks like that will not be a fitment problem. There were several brands/styles that were 22x11x8 but after looking at my mower I feared that the extra inch of height would have caused rubbing against the edge of the fenders. The 21" chevron tires are already a fairly snug fit and I did not want to have to start modifying stuff (cutting/altering the fenders) in order to get something to fit.

Here's a pic of the tire:Duro Desert X Country.jpg

They're a 4 ply carcass, so I hope that they'll last for a while. I originally considered the Carlisle All Trail, as I have those on my John Deere and really liked them, but I wanted something different. We'll see how they wear and last. The price of the Duro was almost $15 cheaper per tire than Carlisle - another big motivator to try them instead. I got them thru ATVtires.com for $73.73/ea + free shipping. They'll be here by the end of the week, hopefully. I'll report back when they show up, I get 'em mounted and do my first test mow with them.