tire chains or atv tires?

metz12

Threads
So, i'm looking to plow with my craftsman this year and i would like to get tire chains or an aggressive set of tires. i'm not sure what to get. my tires in the back are bigger then a normal lawn tractors so i'm pretty sure they will be more expensive correct? but would they grip better then say knobbie atv tires? are there certain sizes of tire chains? i'm pretty much clueless.

BWH

Threads
Definitely go with the tire chains you will want to add some rear weight to the tractor as well. I added 125 lbs. of lead in a cylinder tube across the 3-point arms. My 1968 Bolens 1455 garden tractor is nearly unstoppable in snow. My tractor is equipped with bar type terra tires which also are very aggressive but don稚 hold a candle to the chains.

metz12

Threads
Definitely go with the tire chains you will want to add some rear weight to the tractor as well. I added 125 lbs. of lead in a cylinder tube across the 3-point arms. My 1968 Bolens 1455 garden tractor is nearly unstoppable in snow. My tractor is equipped with bar type terra tires which also are very aggressive but don稚 hold a candle to the chains.

I made a weight box last year. but this year i hope to plow with it more then last because i had all sorts of problems with the thing.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Through the years I have tried different combinations. I have found for myself the best traction on snow and ice is turf tires with tire chains and wheel weights. The chains will work much better with turf tires then tires with lugs. ATV tires would be the biggest mistake because they are low air pressure tires made for mud and water.