Timemaster starts with pull rope but not with electric start

slinger2

Threads
  • / Timemaster starts with pull rope but not with electric start
Mower has 8.75 TP engine. Worked fine for 8-9 seasons (my lawn only). Now engine will not start with electric starter but give it a good pull and it starts right up. Starter solenoid is engaging and engine is turning over but won't start. Battery is new also. I've had surgery on both shoulders so would prefer not to pull start every time. Any suggestions on what to troubleshoot?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Every time I see this, I recommend the same thing. Have the carb cleaned and rebuilt with a new float and float needle and seat. Have the mechanic set the float level slightly rich and it should solve your problem.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does the engine sound like it's turning over at the usual speed with the electric starter? If slow maybe need the valves adjusted for the comp. release to work as needed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And to add to Rivets excellent suggestion, check the valve lash.
Just a slightly larger gap can drastically add to the effort needed to start the engine.
If you are not doing so already switch to a 10w30/40 oil.
One of the reasons why Hondas are renown for easy starting is the fact they use multigrade oil which causes less drag on start up.

slinger2

Threads
I will change the carb for $14. If that doesn't solve it I will get the valves adjusted. It seems to turn over at the right speed, and once it starts, it runs perfectly. Thanks for the suggestions.