Timemaster self propelling

questnyc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m having issues with my timemaster self-propelling. It works fine on flat surfaces and downhill. Its having difficulties self-propelling on a slight incline or though high grass. I changed the transmission, the drive belt and the traction cable. I also made sure the traction cable is tight with minimal slack. Is there anything I’m missing? Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks

gotomow

Threads
There should be two tension springs on the transmission, are they there? also check the cam under the handle that the traction cable hooks to and make sure it is sound without cracks or any slippage, (especially if it's the plastic one). Does the mower drive the same with and without the blades running? Have you checked the motors RPM's?

gotomow

Threads
Was the new belt you installed a Toro or Stens belt?

questnyc

Forum Newbie
Threads
There should be two tension springs on the transmission, are they there? also check the cam under the handle that the traction cable hooks to and make sure it is sound without cracks or any slippage, (especially if it's the plastic one). Does the mower drive the same with and without the blades running? Have you checked the motors RPM's?

Yes both tension springs are on the transmission. I have the plastic piece under the handle but it seems to be intact without any cracks or slippage. The mower drives the same with and without the blades running but it always seemed a bit heavier when the blades were engaged. I have never checked the motors RPM? How do you think it would affect the self propelling? The new drive belt is a new genuine toro belt. Im just lost because I do not know what else it could be.

gotomow

Threads
Which motor do you have the 190cc or the 223cc? If you are down on RPM's then the available power to propel the mower is also down. Gently push your mower when it is not running. Push the traction handle a little bit and the mower should stop because the traction system engages. If not then re-adjust your cable and see if that helps. Other than a worn out drive pulley on your engine or massive wheel friction I'm out of options for you.

questnyc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which motor do you have the 190cc or the 223cc? If you are down on RPM's then the available power to propel the mower is also down. Gently push your mower when it is not running. Push the traction handle a little bit and the mower should stop because the traction system engages. If not then re-adjust your cable and see if that helps. Other than a worn out drive pulley on your engine or massive wheel friction I'm out of options for you.
I have the 190cc. I followed your directions and the mower stop. I’ll check the pulley. Is there anyway to check the rpm? Or even upgrade to the 223? Do you know if it’s easy to replace? Thx for your help.

gotomow

Threads
The 190cc makes the Timemaster underpowered to begin with. Yes you can pop the 223cc on there. Just compare the 2 parts diagrams between the 190cc & 223cc and see what parts are different. I'm thinking not much difference. Google lawnmower or small engine tachometer for pricing and methods for RPM's. One last thing you could also do is remove the engine to blade clutch belt completely and see if that helps. There's a lot of parts on the deck of the Timemaster, so removing the belt will help you isolate that assembly completely. If when you remove the belt it drives normally then you've got something on the deck assembly causing too much power drain.