TimeMaster 30" stops

jlj1

Threads
My TimeMaster 30" has developed a random problem. The mower starts fine and will run normally and then suddenly stop. Sometimes I can start it again immediately, sometimes I need to wait a few minutes. This has happened 2 times out of 3 mowings. The second of the 3 mowings was without any issue. The mower has plenty of gas. I did just recently change the gas filter and air filter. I had no issue of this kind last year. Any thoughts?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next time it happens check to see if you have spark. Could be that you may have a coil which has either a hot short or hot open. If no spark, replace the coil.

jlj1

Threads
Next time it happens check to see if you have spark. Could be that you may have a coil which has either a hot short or hot open. If no spark, replace the coil.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Blockhead22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Same mower, same problem. As ‘Rivets’ says, check the coil. I just replaced mine yesterday and all is well. FYI it was Toro part #595959 and cost me $40 at a dealer.

jlj1

Threads
Same mower, same problem. As ‘Rivets’ says, check the coil. I just replaced mine yesterday and all is well. FYI it was Toro part #595959 and cost me $40 at a dealer.
Thank you

jlj1

Threads
HI Rivets... I changed the coil last week with an OEM part and set the gap at .010. The motor started right up and I mowed the entire yard without incident . I was a relatively cool day. Today it 89 and mower about half the back yard when the motor cut out again. I noticed gas leaking out from around the gas cap and retighten it. The mower started right up. Mowed the rest of the back yard and as I was finishing the mower sputtered again and shut off. Again I noticed gas leaking from around the cap. I pulled the cap off, reset the gasket, filled the tank, and proceeded to the front lawn. I mowed the entire from lawn without any issue. The mower never stopped and gas never leaked. Could the problem be related to the gas cap? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve never seen a leaking cap cause the problem you described, but there’s always a chance. I suggest you use the mower as is, making sure the cap and gasket are tight. If you have no more problems, you’re in the clear.

jlj1

Threads
I’ve never seen a leaking cap cause the problem you described, but there’s always a chance. I suggest you use the mower as is, making sure the cap and gasket are tight. If you have no more problems, you’re in the clear.
Hi Rivets,
I replaced the gas cap and added foam to the tank, per B&G's recommendation, to keep the gas from sloshing . TimeMaster engines have foam in the tank for the reason I mentioned. For some reason mine did not. Anyway, gas does not leak anymore but after about 40 minutes of mowing the same problem occurred. The mower starts to sputter and cuts out. I can generally restart it immediately and resume mowing but the problem reoccured again. I have replaced the coil, OEM, but don't know what else to do. Spark plug, fuel filter? Any tips are appreciated.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Take an air compressor and remove fuel line from carburetor. Blow back into tank with gas cap removed and make sure no obstruction. Is there crap in fuel tank, grass, debris? Is gas fresh (less than 60 days old? Have you drained tank and checked for water in fuel? Have you tried running mower with gas cap on but slightly loose? Secure with duct tape.

jlj1

Threads
Take an air compressor and remove fuel line from carburetor. Blow back into tank with gas cap removed and make sure no obstruction. Is there crap in fuel tank, grass, debris? Is gas fresh (less than 60 days old? Have you drained tank and checked for water in fuel? Have you tried running mower with gas cap on but slightly loose? Secure with duct tape.
I'm happy to try your suggestions but why wouldn't the problem I described start immediately? It takes 40 - 50 minutes before the problem occurs.