TimeMaster 30" making screeching noise

jlj1

Threads
I recently purchased a display model Toro TimeMaster 30" mower. On my first use I noticed a noise similar to something hitting the underside of the deck. The noise only occurs when the blades are engaged and going over a bump or uneven area of the lawn. It will make a very loud noise if I engage the blades and lift the left rear wheel off the ground. It will not do it if I raise the right rear wheel. It does not make any noise if I engage the drive and not the blades. Any guesses?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It’s under warranty, don’t do anything but have it serviced by your dealer. Why void a warra by trying to repair it yourself.

jlj1

Threads
It’s under warranty, don’t do anything but have it serviced by your dealer. Why void a warra by trying to repair it yourself.
No warranty. Any suggestions?

matt man

Threads
Sounds like the blade is hitting something. Blade could be bent, or housing.. Does machine vibrate allot? Maybe bent shaft

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NO WARRANTY?? I don’t understand, as the Timemaster has a three year warranty, it doesn’t matter if it is a display unit or you opened the box and assembled it yourself. Please explain. That being said, tow things to check. First, the blades are timed, so tip the unit on edge with carb up and see if the blades are pointing 900 degrees apart. Tips should never come close to touching. Second, remove the front plastic cover and with the unit running, engage the blades watching to see that the belt is running smooth and there is no play.

Born2Mow

Threads
First, the blades are timed, so tip the unit on edge with carb up and see if the blades are pointing 900 degrees apart. Tips should never come close to touching.
If 900 degrees is too hard to measure, then you can simply use 90 degrees.

:ROFLMAO:

jlj1

Threads
NO WARRANTY?? I don’t understand, as the Timemaster has a three year warranty, it doesn’t matter if it is a display unit or you opened the box and assembled it yourself. Please explain. That being said, tow things to check. First, the blades are timed, so tip the unit on edge with carb up and see if the blades are pointing 900 degrees apart. Tips should never come close to touching. Second, remove the front plastic cover and with the unit running, engage the blades watching to see that the belt is running smooth and there is no play.
Thanks for your input. I purchased the machine from a seller that buys excess inventory from Home Depot. I have been in contact with Toro providing my bill of sale and the manifest from HD to them showing the mower. It was advertised as new display model. It was certainly brand new when I picked it up. Toro will review my information and decide if they will extend the warranty to me. Fingers are crossed. In the mean time I will check the blades. What ever is wrong has something to do with the left rear of the mower. If I engage the blades and lift the left rear I get all this noise as if something is hitting the underside if the deck. If I lift the right rear there is absolute silence. If I don't engage the blades but use the drive only there is no noise. I looked under the deck for signs of something hitting but saw nothing. Tomorrow I will pull the front cover and check there. I will also check the position of the blades. There is absolutely no vibration and it mows perfectly, except for my stated problem.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Transmission is on the back left corner, so I’m guessing the idler pulley or belt retainer is where the cause is.

jlj1

Threads
Transmission is on the back left corner, so I’m guessing the idler pulley or belt retainer is where the cause is.
Are those accessible under the front cover?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, trip the mower on its side, carb up and you’ll be able to eee what I’m talking about.