Timecutter 60" Electrical Gremlins, Bad brake lock module?

chuck$ter

Threads
  • / Timecutter 60" Electrical Gremlins, Bad brake lock module?
So my Mower decided to not release the brake after mowing the lawn and blowing it off before putting it away. Started fine, I tried to move it and the brake would not release. I tried to manually unlock it and as soon as I started it and tried to move the brake engaged again. I checked the two switches in the control arms and the seat switch. All good.
I had to mow again and this time I said screw it. I removed the brake arms from the brake module. I got half the lawn mowed and had to shut it off for a moment. Then it would not start this time. Figuring a bad brake module I pulled the connector and jumped Black to Green and Pink to yellow. Per a youtube video.. for some reason IT still would not start with the key.. I again I said screw it and used a wrench to jump the solenoid and start it.. It started and stayed running long enough to finish the lawn. After I put it away I tried to hit the started again and this time it engaged.. WTH?

Do I have a bad Brake module which it seems like everything terminates to and causing all this crap?
Do I have a flaky Ignition Switch?
Do I have a flaky Solenoid?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Toro have their technical manuals available on line for free but you will need the numbers off the ID to get the right one
In there is the wiring diagram for your mower
The modules are known for failing very regularly .
The fuse holders are also known for failures .
The ignition switch is easily verified by pulling the plug & jumping the terminals as per the wiring diagram
The solenoid inside the module rarely fails but it is electrical so subject to corrosion, badly soldered terminals, wires broken at the crimp connections etc etc etc

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you do change the module also change out the wiring harness as they will void the module warranty you don't. I went through this a few years ago when I had to change a customer's module. The replacement module went up in smoke 30 minutes after I install it. They vendor tried voiding the warranty saying I should have replaced the harness too but I had them as I had also ordered the harness from them as the one I had was corroded at the module plug. Boy was I lucky that they had to cover that $100+ module.

chuck$ter

Threads
Toro have their technical manuals available on line for free but you will need the numbers off the ID to get the right one
In there is the wiring diagram for your mower
The modules are known for failing very regularly .
The fuse holders are also known for failures .
The ignition switch is easily verified by pulling the plug & jumping the terminals as per the wiring diagram
The solenoid inside the module rarely fails but it is electrical so subject to corrosion, badly soldered terminals, wires broken at the crimp connections etc etc etc
I found a service manual with schematics and will start checking all the switches and such.. My gut tells me the Brake Module crapped the bed.. But I need to ensure all else is good before I pull the trigger on a new on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
good move
A short in the wiring can blow the new module the instant you instal it and that gets very expensive very quickly
Down here they are about 2.5 hr of my charge out rate so I am very careful when replacing them.
I think there must have been a problem with the early Timecutters or the modules because they used to go bad quite regularly but lately I have not had a bad one com in for several years .

chuck$ter

Threads
good move
A short in the wiring can blow the new module the instant you instal it and that gets very expensive very quickly
Down here they are about 2.5 hr of my charge out rate so I am very careful when replacing them.
I think there must have been a problem with the early Timecutters or the modules because they used to go bad quite regularly but lately I have not had a bad one com in for several years .
I bought this in mid 2017 and use it just about weekly since here in Florida.. I maintain 5 acres.. Its been solid.. Luckily I do my own maintenance so I save a ton.. Had to replace the Battery and spindle bearings (not the whole hub) The factory ones were bone dry and started wining at year 3.. Also had a bad fuel pump and recently replaced that as well. I really dont even need the brake but that stupid module terminates the entire circuit.. So if I need to I will just bite the bullet and replace it..