TIme-sert insert stuck on plug

Tomahawk63

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought a Husqvarna HU775H with Briggs 775ex series engine (OHV). It takes a Champion RC12YC. I went to change out the plug and I noticed the plug had an insert on it, I think its a time sert insert, but I am not experienced with these hole repair tools. Obviously someone did a repair on the hole.
Questions:
1. I want to change out the plug but I don't know what size inserts to buy. The RC12YC plugs don't fit into the repaired hole without the insert in place (either in the hole or on the plug).
2. Can I take the insert off of this plug and place it on a new plug?

Thank you.

Attachments

• plug w insert.jpg
    plug w insert.jpg
    633.7 KB · Views: 12

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like Lisle brand https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-65030-...684234078&s=automotive&sr=1-11&ts_id=15709101

But could also be the Heli-coil sav-a-thread kit https://www.amazon.com/Heli-Coil-He...l+spark+plug+repair+kit&qid=1684235160&sr=8-3

The main issue you have is the insert threads installed were too short for the application. The insert needs to be the same length as the spark plug threads. Carbon will biuld up on the exposed threads causing it to lock to the insert and therefore the insert comes out with the plug. Same thing happens if a spark plug with too long threads is screwed directly into the head and you try to remove it will strip the threads in the original hole.

Last edited:

Tomahawk63

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I thought it was not good that the insert was shorter than the plug threads. The hole is tapped so all I need to do is reinsert the proper size insert using red loctite or some other permanent bond?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Suppose to be a QC12YC. And the insert needs to a lot closer to 3/4"

And yes you may need to loctite the replacement now that one pulled out from its locking teeth.

Tomahawk63

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine is 111P02-0116-F1 takes Briggs #692051 isn't this the equivalent to RC12YC?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
See that is why we the equipment numbers as I looked up base the series and not the actual model. Yes the RC12YC is the cross for the 692051.The QC12YC is for the CDI ignition used on many of the engines in this series.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And once tou have a plug insert it is prudent to pit a THIN WIPE of nickle anti sieze on the plugs from then on to prevent it adhering to the insert.
A time sect is solid like a reducing bush so has a bigger hole and should be held in place by pins that are hammered in througn the threads when finished
A wire insert just sits in the hole
Hard to tell from your photo but my suggestion would be to pop into a bearing shop or a specialty automotive tool shop ( Not Pep, Auto Zone lowes or wallys ) with your plug.
They should be able to identify it and provide you with a new one
Most 1/2 decient auto repaires will also have both solid & wire inserts
I charge $ 20 ( aus) to fit either type .