Tife chains

Vulnavia

Threads
Hey all,
Tire chains. How do you keep them on? 2006 cub cadet LT1040 Every time I plow some snow they "roll" over to one side of the tire or the other. Then back to the garage, jack up the back and move them to where they should be. It has happened since I first put them on. Tried crossed bungee cords and it helps a little. They are about as tight as I can get them and still be able to get them on.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bungies stretch and will let them move. You might try chains instead of bungies.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve found that large (1/2” wide) cable ties, routed in an X work best.

OldDiyer

Threads
Heres my fix and may work for you as well. Lower the air pressure in the tires but not to the point the tire bead is broken than install the chains as tight as you can now inflate the tires to proper pressure sure now be tighter than you could ever get them, and I do not use any tensioners. On my set-up years ago after first year dealing with the chains, I got a whole different set of used tires and wheels and installed the chains on them now for winter I just change over the tires and wheels with chains already installed and ready to go. Alot easier for an old man like me.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you sure you have the proper size chains for the tires? Proper fitting chains can be a pain to get tight. Can you post a pic of the installed chains?

Vulnavia

Threads
Thanks for the replies and ideas. I struggle every time I put them on for the winter season, getting them as tight as I can, not sure I can get them any tighter. I believe they are the proper size, as recommended by the manufacturer. I will try lowering the air pressure and see if I can tighten them up. I have some big cable ties and try them too. If that doesn't help, I will measure the chain size. I'll see about a picture when I can (was informed there are more important things to do today !). I'll let you know.

Will

Gord Baker

Threads
Heres my fix and may work for you as well. Lower the air pressure in the tires but not to the point the tire bead is broken than install the chains as tight as you can now inflate the tires to proper pressure sure now be tighter than you could ever get them, and I do not use any tensioners. On my set-up years ago after first year dealing with the chains, I got a whole different set of used tires and wheels and installed the chains on them now for winter I just change over the tires and wheels with chains already installed and ready to go. Alot easier for an old man like me.
Very well thought out Sir. I have done the same with psi.

Sherman Anderson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all,
Tire chains. How do you keep them on? 2006 cub cadet LT1040 Every time I plow some snow they "roll" over to one side of the tire or the other. Then back to the garage, jack up the back and move them to where they should be. It has happened since I first put them on. Tried crossed bungee cords and it helps a little. They are about as tight as I can get them and still be able to get them on.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will
Will, it sounds like the chains are sized for different tires. I lived in Colorado 25 years and there learned about chains for vehicles. Now I’m in Arkansas since 1998. about 2010. I did a search for chain sets for my 650 lb. Self-propelled two-wheel stump grinder. Northern Tool, Tractor Supply and Orscheln Farm Supply we’re the only vendors at that time and the price was very high. I gave up the search and rely9n the knobby equipment tires or decline the job if tire chains would be necessary. Perhaps a welder could remove the excess chains in your set for a tighter fit.

OldDiyer

Threads
Well don't want to hack this thread but heres something else that works great. Not only were the chains a pain but always had issue with the wheel weights as well so 2 years ago came up with a fix for them as well. As I had the extra wheels set up with chains, I installed the long bolts that hold the weights on the wheels thru the wheels and double nutted them now all I do is slide the weights on the studs put on the washers and nuts tighten and its done no more trying to get your hands behind the wheels when mounted on the tractor and starting the nuts was always a real pain to hold the weights and try to get the nuts and washers started behind the wheels.

sastark

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great thread. I have a Cup Cadet Z-Force 54" deck Zero Turn that has terrible traction. My property is somewhat hilly, but not extremely so (central Kentucky). I thought about putting chains on it, but after reading this I thought perhaps there's a better way? Different tread, less air in the tires so they are not so stiff, etc.
Anybody have ideas?
Thanks, and this is a great forum.