The estimated time it takes to mow a lawn using a Toro Timecutter 50-inch zero-turn mower

ASHKEE

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / The estimated time it takes to mow a lawn using a Toro Timecutter 50-inch zero-turn mower
How long would it take to mow a lawn of different sizes using a Toro Timecutter 50-inch zero-turn mower? For instance, how much time should I allocate to mow a lawn that is 0-5000, 5000-10000, 10000-15000, 15000-20000, or 20,000-25000 square feet? looking for rough estimates not exact, the purpose of this is to give my clients estimates strictly based off of square footage.

Glades Cat

Threads
  • / The estimated time it takes to mow a lawn using a Toro Timecutter 50-inch zero-turn mower
How much wood could a Woodchuck chuck........Never mind.
About 1 min per 1000 sq.ft.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
one acre = 6272640 square inches ( because the deck size is in inches )
Your deck is 60" wide ( use 2/3 to allow for overlap & obstacles )
so 6272640 / 40 = 156,816 inches of travel to cut the acre
Now in miles that is 2.475 miles ( because your mowers speed is quoted in MPH )
Divide that by 1/2 the top speed your mower travels in mph and you will get the time in hours
So if it goes 6mph, 1/2 of that is 3 therefore 2.475 / 3 = 0.83 hours multiply that by 60 to get the minutes = 52 minutes .
This comes out to 52min/acre
or 43560 sq feet in 52 minutes
So 43560/52 = 840 square feet per minute
A bit long winded but you need to follow the reasoning so you can drop in the numbers for your mower
so 10,000 sq ft / 840 ft/ min = 12 minutes + loading & unloading ( which most people forget )
So get some one to time you bum in drivers seat , mower off ramps / door closed ramps up , then ramps down again mower loaded & secured then bum back into the drivers seat .
Term that your call out fee and it becomes your minimum charge

Mower companies quote the mowing speed usually in acres per hour simply by multiplying the full deck width by the maximum speed
You will never be cutting full speed unless it is a lawn you cut every 4 days
And a 1/3 deck overlap is fairly normal if you want to make a good flat cut with no rooster tails

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As said mowing speeds are all relative as some lawns have no obstacles and other have numerous ones. Here mine is full obstacles though not as bad as my mother's yard. It took long to trim it out than to mow it. Here mine is not as bad but I still quite plants to mow around.

Now about 1-2 acres will be going into Field crop type usage as I starting an Iris farm. Currently have about 50 different colors to work from and probably going add at least 10 more this year.

Over half the property is very wet and unmowable most of the year. I got to put in drainage tiles.

ASHKEE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Divide that by 1/2 the top speed your mower travels in mph and you will get the time in hours
So if it goes 6mph, 1/2 of that is 3 therefore 2.475 / 3 = 0.83 hours multiply that by 60 to get the minutes = 52 minutes .
A bit long winded but you need to follow the reasoning so you can drop in the numbers for your mower
so 10,000 sq ft / 840 ft/ min = 12 minutes + loading & unloading ( which most people forget )
So get some one to time you bum in drivers seat , mower off ramps / door closed ramps up , then ramps down again mower loaded & secured then bum back into the drivers seat .

Mower companies quote the mowing speed usually in acres per hour simply by multiplying the full deck width by the maximum speed
And a 1/3 deck overlap is fairly normal if you want to make a good flat cut with no rooster tails
thanks for the good info my man

ASHKEE

Forum Newbie
Threads

Just went through your formula with my numbers, and it all seems accurate(which is super), Now I just need a way to factor in weed wacking, I may just use google earth to determine that, lmk if you have any suggestions.

ASHKEE

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just used your numbers as well to put together a spreadsheet that gave me a 98.07 accuracy average bas

ed

Just put the numbers and all of my current data into a spread sheet and it has an accuracy of 98.07 percent, so thankyou for that. I do however would like to know how I would go about figuring out the mowing rate for a push mower that is 21 inches in width.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same story 21" x your normal walking pace with is generally between 3 and 5 mph
Word of advice

NEVER EVER quote on a job till you have seen it in the flesh
What you say is our base rate is $ x / acre ( Sq yd / Sq ft etc ) and $ y / lineal foot for line triming along the sides of the house, fence line & around obstacles like paths & trees

Actual invoice will vary depending upon site specific things like type & length of grass, time between mows ( give discounts for weekly mowing ) & type of terrain .
These can only be done after a site inspection.