Tell your High Hour Kawasaki Story

lil SIG

Threads
What was it? How many hours did it give you? How did you break it in and maintain it?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sir, what makes the engine so touchy, never bothered doing this to other engines in the past.
What? Please explain more. "Touchy"?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
3000+hrs. FX series. Still going strong with normal repairs. Customer uses in a commercial setup. He got another one with even more hours.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Highest Hour kawasaki engine I've seen is a KAF620 on a Mule. 8,592 hours. Ran like a top. Haven't seen it in about a year.
As far as Mower engine goes, 4,542 hours when I serviced a Zturn.

RayMcD

Threads
What? Please explain more. "Touchy"?
It makes me believe the engine is subject to running hot, hell, all air cool engines run hot. I have always took time to keep my engine cooling fins clean but never had to remove cover specifically to clean the top of the engine (Does this define Touchy). Honestly I feel the manufactures did us all a dis service with the typical design of machines with FR series rear mounted engines. Engines mounted down low behind mammoth cutting decks, hell all they do is suck dirt from the moment they are started. I really like the way my machine cuts, yard look sweet, I'll keep it serviced and it will do me for years (likely out last me) but if I had been better informed I would never purchased it regardless of manufacture. BOBCAT CRZ 48" 2019

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have always took time to keep my engine cooling fins clean but never had to remove cover specifically to clean the top of the engine
On most engines you must remove the top engine cover to get the block and fins clean. They have air flow panels and such to direct air around where it needs to be at.

This is a yearly must-do in yours and all other air cooled engine manuals out there. One scalping yard mow can pack the fins up solid. Then we get people on here with tossed push rods and such. Valve guides moved....