tecumseh van 148 (Lav30) governor lever question

blithering

Threads
Is anybody familiar with this motor?

This old motor maybe from the 70's was surging so I exchanged the carb for a new after market one which seemed to work fine until I refuelled it and then it would not start or if it did it only turned over twice. There is a good spark and compression seems fine.I tried fresh fuel as well. I suspected the carb as it was a cheap part and could have failed but when I removed it I noticed that the govenor lever was ccw, is it meant to be that way on this model? it does not move when starting.

Prior to the not starting issue the motor did not have a run away problem as if it had a faulty governor.

The reason I ask is that I saw this website about govenor failure

https://www.nettally.com/palmk/Tecumseh Governor Failure.html

It is a different engine though but same make, I don't want to disassemble the motor if the lever is as it should be and the fault lies else where.

Attachments

• lever.jpg
    lever.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 4

blithering

Threads
Thank you for replying:)
Am I right in concluding that if the governor was damaged, for example the spool or cog was damaged, the motor would start but then run away at high revs?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, you are correct.

blithering

Threads
I think it might be that cheapo carb

blithering

Threads
I replaced the carburettor and it fired up fine however it did "race" so my assumption that the governor was defective was correct as I could control the revs with the governor lever.
Clearly I should to look inside, so I need to remove the sump to access it - I will remove the petrol tank, is there anything else that needs to come off to do this.
I there any other advice I need to take note of ?