Tecumseh OH 160 no spark

ktxl109

Forum Newbie
Threads
This OH160 has some kind of aftermarket ignition system on it ?? Does anyone know who built these ?? Any one have specs or wiring diagrams ?oh160ignition.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like a generic coil for an ATV. And some sort of triggering block to generate spark.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The OH160 came with 2 different ignition systems. One is a conventional coil and points and the other is a self contained electronic ignition. They use different flywheels. The electronic system uses trigger pins on the rim of the flywheel. The electronic coils are scarce and expensive, usually around $200 or more. There have been a few homebrew replacement ignitions using a battery and hall effect transistor using the trigger pins for timing. If it works i would call it a win. You can google "HH120 ignition conversion" and see a few different conversions. No idea what is still available.

ktxl109

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is a 1984 vintage engine that came in a Case 1816 skidsteer - it has the 2 pin flywheel so i am assuming it had the OEM electronic ignition and it must have failed and someone else installed this setup that is currently on it ,i have yet to get it to throw a spark so i was looking around for some info

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unless you can fabricobble an ignition system anything you buy to bolt on will probably be $200 or better. If you can find an old point style flywheel and a non electronic coil and a nova chip you can get it working but i will bet most all the old point flywheels have been snstched up. I will bet the gadget you have was connected to a battery.