Tecumseh carb.

Curleyg

Threads
Working on an old generator. Can someone pls tell me what the small open ended tube in the air intake throat is? As soon as I allow gas flow it pours out of this small tube.
Thanks for any insight.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The tube I think you are referring to is an extension of the air vent to the fuel bowl. It is to help prevent gas from being pulled from the fuel bowl effecting mixture ratio. The problem is not the tube, your problem is the float valve isn't sealing allowing the carb to overflow.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum!
We (almost) always have answers :cool:

Curleyg

Threads
Thanks Ilengine I suspected as much but didn't know what that tube was. I just rebuilt the carb. Apparently I didn't get the float, needle valve, or seat right. I'll get another kit and start over. Thanks again.

Curleyg

Threads
Thanks Catherine. I'll hit you up with a good one tomorrow.

Curleyg

Threads
Hey folks, before I order a new rebuild kit is it possible to push the needle valve seat in too far? I ask because the seat and valve are new, but the valve isn't stopping fuel flow.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you install the seat in the correct direction, ring toward the carb body? It can’t be pushed in too far. This is the procedure I use.

Needle and seat replacement.
Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.
I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.
With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. If it does, replace. If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.
PS: On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. Under this cover will be an idle jet. Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.

Curleyg

Threads
Thanks folks, I ordered a new kit came with the correct size needle valve. Started and ran great first pull.
Thanks again.