Tec, AV520 on a digger

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Earthquake digger, M# 9000 with a Tecumseh AV520.

If a two cycle comes in the shop with 100lbs or less, I don't normally mess with them. But this one is bigger. Looks almost like a 4cycle. It takes 24:1 mix. I'm only getting about 87lbs of compression. From what little I can see down in the spark plug hole, I don't see any scarring.
So my question is, is it worth the time and money repairing it with only 87lbs? Or can these still perform good with that much or a little less?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Put a teaspoon of oil into the cylinder and retest compression. If the compression increases the rings are either stuck or worn. At that point you can make a better decision. If no increase in compression I would probably file 13 it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you spray a shot of carb cleaner or starting fluid in the carb and pull the rope does it dire and run for a few seconds?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you spray a shot of carb cleaner or starting fluid in the carb and pull the rope does it dire and run for a few seconds?

No. It does have spark. But it doesn't have the right spark plug either. I'm about to run get the right one and recheck that. I tried it last night, with the plug that came in with it. And didn't get anything. But from what the customer told me, that's the same plug he's been using. An AC R43XLS. From what I've found, it's supposed to be a RJ17LM. Or an NGK BMR2A (or 6A crosses to it too)

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put a teaspoon of oil into the cylinder and retest compression. If the compression increases the rings are either stuck or worn. At that point you can make a better decision. If no increase in compression I would probably file 13 it.

I put a little (50:1) into the plug hole and retested. I got right on the 100 to 101 mark. Definitely a game changer. So I'm going with what you said, worn or stuck ring. IIRC, once an engine heats up, it'll lose some compression. Bringing ti down to less than 100.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once it warms up metal expands, which will raise the compression.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

Jacks gives a different number. I suppose they both cross.

UPDATE: Upon further inspection, it doesn't seem that either mine nor yours are the same.
Check out the Partstree diagram. listed on the diagram page, #135 as a Champion RJ17LM. When you click on #135 in the parts list, it changes to the RJ8C.
When you got to the cross reference page, the RJ8C doesn't even cross reference to the RJ17LM.
Not sure what Partstree is doing. Listing two different plugs, that according to the cross reference website, don't cross.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

Parts store says this BR4LM crossed over. Put it in, primed it and after about 15 pulls she hit and ran long enough to run the fuel I just primed.
Primed the hell out of it, til it was leaking out the intake. Looks like there's some water in it.
Customer says to proceed with the carb. work.

Thanks for the info guys. I almost let this get by me.

Last edited: