TB30R Deck Belt Wont Stay On

Gorrillasnot

Threads
I'm working on a TB30R for my neighbor and cant seem to figure out how to keep the deck belt from being thrown off/shredded.
It has a floating idler that has a bolt and spacer that hangs down from the bracket its attached to that's supposed to hold the belt on but within seconds of installing a new belt it will throw it right off.
A fix I attempted was to put a large washer at the bottom of that bolt so the belt couldn't slip down, but the belt would get hung between the washer and pulley and shred itself.
To me it seems as if the upper idler bracket (that the pulley and belt retainer bolt attached to) is made to flimsy and flexes causing my problems.
I'll link to a youtube video that shows a guy repairing the idler assembly and putting a belt on.
TB30R Video
does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this or fab something to keep the belt from slipping off?

thanks

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you using OEM Troy Bilt parts listed above? When I need a new lawn tractor battery I go to Tractor Supply with old battery that is bad as a core. Their batteries are dated, reasonably priced, & ready to go.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Have you check the idler pulley itself to see if the bearings are loose allowing the pulley to flop around. Also items 27 and 29 can worn allowing excessive play in the idler arm assembly.
1626349247341.png

Joed756

Threads
The idler pulley should (when removed) spin freely and slow gently too a stop. If it is hard or noisy when you spin it, or if stops spinning quickly. OR if you can wiggle it at all, you need to replace it, fortunately, it's cheap.

spot79

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm working on a TB30R for my neighbor and cant seem to figure out how to keep the deck belt from being thrown off/shredded.
It has a floating idler that has a bolt and spacer that hangs down from the bracket its attached to that's supposed to hold the belt on but within seconds of installing a new belt it will throw it right off.
A fix I attempted was to put a large washer at the bottom of that bolt so the belt couldn't slip down, but the belt would get hung between the washer and pulley and shred itself.
To me it seems as if the upper idler bracket (that the pulley and belt retainer bolt attached to) is made to flimsy and flexes causing my problems.
I'll link to a youtube video that shows a guy repairing the idler assembly and putting a belt on.
TB30R Video
does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this or fab something to keep the belt from slipping off?

thanks
Did you find a fix? I have the same issue. Changed out idler pulley and spacer on screw still slipping off.