TB22 Wont start. Brand new carburetor, fuel line, sparkplug.

UnladenSwallow

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / TB22 Wont start. Brand new carburetor, fuel line, sparkplug.
I have a TB22 that refuses to start. I have replaced the spark plug, fuel line and carburetor. I follow the starting instructions but to no avail. It won't even act like it wants to run. It is 4 years old. What can I try?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Is this a TB22 weed eater or a TB22 push trimmer?

UnladenSwallow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is this a TB22 weed eater or a TB22 push trimmer?
It is a weed eater. And I just checked the spark arrestor screen and it is pretty clean. Trimmer is only a few years old so I didn't expect that to be too bad, but checked anyway.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Put some gas (mixed 2 cycle gas preferably) in the plug hole, just about a teaspoon or a little less, and try to start it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First let me start by saying this is a $110 curve shaft string trimmer available at TSC. Although these can be fitted with a straight shaft too but they are higher priced units.

Most professional will not waste their time repairing these as the time involve vs what we can charge for is huge. Otherwords a shop with a minimum charge even $60 quickly outstrip the equipment replacement value by the time we just add parts costs. Personally I have spent up to 4 hrs repairing items like this to be only able to charge for 3/4hr labor plus parts and the customer still refuses to pay. I have gotten to where if it is something simple I repair them but it is a major job as just accessing the flywheel is a near complete tear down and reassemble job I usually just pass it up. Now DIYers don't usually have several larger pieces of equipment awaiting for repairs either so they have the time to waste.

Now as a layman the OP should pull the muffler and check for cylinder scoring. This will cause lost of compression and it take at least 100 psi for a 2 cycle to start. Testing for must be done with a test gauge and the old it has compression when I pull the rope just don't cut it.

If you have good compression then do as Scrub suggest to see it will hit. If you don't verify you have spark. If you have spark then check the flywheel key.

The key to 2 cycle is no invasive test methods as most problems can be diagnosed with a few minutes by an experienced tech. It is the actual repairs that take so long as getting to source can require a complete tear down the equipment.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Double ditto
Although with a hand held 1/4 teaspoon would be more than enough fuel
Two drops from an eye dropper would do nicely

UnladenSwallow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Air filter not even on it when trying to get it to start.

Jake8131

Threads
(y)

Joed756

Threads
I've read your post, so I know what you've done. Now you need to check the new spark plug for bright bold spark. If you have a spark you have to try the eyedropper trick. Still no start it's possible the flywheel key is broken, though you would likely remember when that happened. Check compression. The new carb was not necessarily adjusted for your trimmer, you'll need to do that at this point. It is either running now, or you need to call an exorcist.