TB110 push mower, grass buildup

kh0432

Threads
I have a TB110 that's only 2 years old. Only complaint is that when mowing tall damp grass, the grass builds up under the deck to the point that it sounds like the engine is coming apart. Blade is not loose. If I shut the mower off a lot of the grass will fall out and it"ll be ok for awhile. I also installed a washout port which helps a lot. I know I should mow the grass more often and when it's completely dry but in the spring that's not always possible. The grass grows fast and it rains often so I have to cut it when I can. I wanted to try a Gator blade but they don't make one for this mower. I liked this mower when I first bought it so I bought one for my son. He complains of the same thing.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
how tall is the grass? and how damp/wet is it when you mow....

kh0432

Threads
Taller than normal and last rain was 36 hours ago. My point was that I never had a mower knock as bad as this one when the grass builds up. The first time it happened I thought it was throwing a rod or the blade was coming off.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I gather it is a mulching mower and the blade to deck space is being overwhelmed by the volume of grass .
Solution is to get a rough cut mower as well and throw the first cut if the grass is too long or too wet .
I have to do this all the time because when it rains in Sydney in summer it rains for 2 to 3 weeks at a time .
So my push mower spend more time with the catcher flap open and me pushing it standing on the right side .

kh0432

Threads
Yes it is a mulching mower. I only use it to cut where my riding mower won’t reach. I’m thinking about getting one with a side shoot and using it before finishing with the rider. That way the rider can mulch the clippings. My rider is a rear engine 30” with a mulch plug and doesn’t have that problem

kh0432

Threads
I was wrong about a Gator Blade not being available. It's my rider that they don't make one for. I have a Gator Blade on this push mower. Would the standard blade make any difference?

kh0432

Threads
Decided to bite the bullet and get a mower that mulches, bags and has a side discharge. I didn't realize when I bought it that the TB110 was only a mulch mower. The owners manual even says if the grass has grown over 4" or if it's wet to use the bagger. Decided on one with a Honda motor and 3 in 1 deck

Mattmotors

Threads
I use mine to trim around trees. It always clogs up even when I hold the bagger flap up with a string. I have noticed that it drinks gas too. Trimming around my house usually uses a 1/2 tank. I attribute it to the fixed jet non adjustable plastic EPA compliant carb, along with my EPA compliant gas cans with the fancy press to dispense spouts that spill gas all over. By the way, My lawn mower is gender neutral. Keep your blade sharp.