TB Horse XP quit within 24 hours

verguito

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Horse XP purchased brand new from Lowe's 7 years ago. It has been kept inside a shed since it came to the house and we only mow an area of .75 acre from April to October every 3 weeks. It looks brand new and it has been barely used considering how I use it. Last time I mowed was August 28th and as I was finishing I felt it was failing to go uphill a little bit. I started reading online and a drive belt change was suggested. I also saw a tutorial on how to drill the transmission to install a drain plug in order to replace the fluid but I am not a mechanic and the only maintenance I do to it is oil change and filter. I had replaced the blades 2 years ago and I decided to take it to my local ACE Hardware. The serviced it, changed the deck belt, sharpened the blades, fixed a tire and they told me the drive belt was in perfect shape so they did not touch it. They told me that I was going to wait 2 to 3 minutes after starting the mower because the transmission would not engage. I picked it up and brought it home. It took me 5 minutes to take it down from the trailer because it would not move. After it started moving I got to the shed and stopped. The engine runs perfectly fine but when I move the shifter forward and reverse it does nothing. I was told by some people that I am going to have to get a new mower. I appreciate any help and thanks in advance.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Need model number from serial tag. I suspect you have hydrostatic setup; though, CVT system is possible.

With these if hydro even a drive belt that looks good can be worn out. Also v-idler pulley a lot of time are plastic and wear out. When they do even a new belt will slip. and if it is a CVT system there are two drive belts.

Either way a mower that don't want to move for several minutes is a symptom of a serious problem.

Last edited:

verguito

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for replying so late but work was hectic today. I found a picture online of my mower and the other picture is from the sticker my mower has next to the battery. It does have a hydrostatic setup.

Attachments

• IMG-20210909-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210909-WA0003.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Troy-bilt-XP-hydrostatic-01.jpg
    Troy-bilt-XP-hydrostatic-01.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 8

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would be betting that the drive belt is worn and/or one or both of the drive idler pulleys are bad. You’ll need to remove the deck and crawl under the unit to inspect. Idler pulleys call look good, but bearing could be shot causing the pulley to wobble.

electech2

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 2017, I believe, XP Horse started not wanting to move very much after it got warm. The transmission oil looked and felt as it should. I have read about this oil wearing out so I decided to replace it. I was able to pump it out with an inexpensive pump from Harbor Freight (slow process but it's not like a daily task). After refilling the unit with about two quarts of recommended 20W 50 weight oil it drives like new.