TB 30 with MTD engine object in oil sump

ElCid

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dropped a plastic tip about 1 inch long in oil fill tube and tried to get it out with 3 inch long screw. Both fell into sump. How do I remove them? Will it do any damage to just leave them in? This is NOT a TB30R with the B&S engine, but the TB30 with the 382 cc MDT engine. Thanks.
Purchased in March 2020.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes it can cause damage especially the metal screw. May be able to retrieve it with a magnet. the easier thing to do may be to pull the engine disassemble and retrieve the foreign items.

ElCid

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it can cause damage especially the metal screw. May be able to retrieve it with a magnet. the easier thing to do may be to pull the engine disassemble and retrieve the foreign items.
Thank You. I have an magnet on an extendable rod that I plan to try today. Will drain the oil first and then try through the oil fill tube and maybe the drain plug hole if possible. Probably will not be successful, so guess I will have to load it up and take it to a technician - which is complicated due to the rural area in which I live.
While this was my fault, if it had the B&S engine that the TB30R has, would not have happened. The red plastic covering was manufactured for the B&S engine, but Troy-Bilt (MTD) decided to place their engines on the TB30 ones. The oil fill tube is under the plastic and difficult to reach - impossible if bagger is on. So have to use a very small bottle, put oil in it and then hold that over the fill tube. Forgot to remove cap.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank You. I have an magnet on an extendable rod that I plan to try today. Will drain the oil first and then try through the oil fill tube and maybe the drain plug hole if possible. Probably will not be successful, so guess I will have to load it up and take it to a technician - which is complicated due to the rural area in which I live.
While this was my fault, if it had the B&S engine that the TB30R has, would not have happened. The red plastic covering was manufactured for the B&S engine, but Troy-Bilt (MTD) decided to place their engines on the TB30 ones. The oil fill tube is under the plastic and difficult to reach - impossible if bagger is on. So have to use a very small bottle, put oil in it and then hold that over the fill tube. Forgot to remove cap.

Does the oil fill tube come off? Or is it just a cap?
Also, when you drain the oil, put a screen under it, so if either of the pieces some out, the screen will catch it. Drain the oil in something clean, so you can pour it back into the engine to try and flush the pieces to the drain hole. You might get lucky and get those pieces close enough that you can reach in with some needle nose pliers.

ElCid

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advice. Drained the oil out and nothing came out. The oil fill tube may come off, but typical of this product, it would be very difficult to do. The problem is the red "decorative" plastic surround as it was not made for this MTD engine.
Spoke with service tech at dealer and he suggested trying to get oil fill tube off and I'll try that again, but the top gets in the way. To remove top you have to snap off plastic connecting "bolts" and then take ignition switch and fuel control loose and then remove the seat and disconnect the fuel cap from its tether. So, major labor costs before tech even gets to the engine itself.
Of all the lawn mowers, I have ever owned, this is the dumbest design. Of course the other riders were Snappers. My push is a Troy-Bilt, but it has a Honda engine.
Thanks again for help.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ah, Ok, get you a shop vac and either put the hose at the fill tube or the oil drain.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
i have modified shop vac hose down to 1/4" Fuel line several times....

I dropped the plastic safety seal off the top of an oil bottle down into my brothers Kohler last year. I've been waiting to hear him say something about his engine since then.

Nothing yet. lol

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I dropped the plastic safety seal off the top of an oil bottle down into my brothers Kohler last year. I've been waiting to hear him say something about his engine since then.

Nothing yet. lol
It'll get sucked up against the oil pump inlet hole one of these days......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

johnboy647

Forum Newbie
Threads
It'll get sucked up against the oil pump inlet hole one of these days......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Would it do you any good to remove the oil filter? Sometimes this will allow you better access to the inside of the engine.