TALL GRASS=BUGS!

Threads
Yesterday and today I have mowed 2 lawns that had pretty tall grass. And both of them had TONS of bugs. I would mow, and they would come out of the grass (HUGE mosquitoes and other bugs), fly around, and then land back in the grass. It was disgusting. I think the reason they are here is a) because of the recent heavy rain.... b) because of the season..... and c) because of the tall grass. I absolutely HATE mowing with them all around, because of the West Nile Virus getting worse. Also, when I mow past a bush, they come flying out of it. It is SOOOOO disgusting.

I read an article right now and this is what it said: "Contrary to popular belief, mosquitoes do not breed in tall grass or thick brush. These areas provide an excellent refuge for adult mosquitoes during the heat of the day but in no way contribute to mosquito breeding, nor do they provide habitat for mosquito larvae." (http://www.mda.state.md.us/plants-pests/mosquito_control/mosquito_info/mosquito_biology.php)

Maybe the reason they are here is because of the warmer weather we have had the past 2 days (it has been around 80).

Has anyone else had this problem?????

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are they black in color? Do they look like this? They could be a single bug also.

Lovebugs.jpg

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't think so. If that is what they are I am no longer EVER going to mow tall grass right after it rains....THOSE BUGS LOOK DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!:eek:

The lovebug, Plecia nearctica, is a member of the family of march flies, It is also known as the honeymoon fly, kissingbug, or double-headed bug and it's harmless. They love to be around anything involving fuel. There more of a PITA than anything else. They are bad here others places at certain times of the year.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
We get tons of nats :/ learn to breath through your nose :) Also Chigger bugs :/ annoying as hell Certain times of the year I use one of those clip on your belt bug repelent things works great

Threads
We get tons of nats :/ learn to breath through your nose :) Also Chigger bugs :/ annoying as hell Certain times of the year I use one of those clip on your belt bug repelent things works great

That is disgusting! Luckily we don't have bugs like that, but we do have cicada killer bugs...they can be up to 2 inches! (Picture attached). They dig holes in your yard everywhere and leave big mounds of dirt outside them. It is a good time to practice your tennis racket-swinging skills! They take cicadas and drag them into their holes and lay their eggs on them. I ran over one when I was mowing but I forgot I had the blades turned off because I was finished so it came out from under the mower and freaked out! I wish I had the blades on! There is this one lawn care person who whenever he is weedwacking he will try to weedwack the cidada killer wasps. It is fun the watch! :tongue: At one time there can be probably 20 of these bugs in one area of a yard!! Luckily they are only here in the summer, and not now.
cicada killer wasp.jpeg
(http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/cicada_killer.htm)

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
yuck yah if a bee or wasp comes near my weedwacker I like to explode it lol

Ariena

Threads

That explains a lot of things.