Swapping Kohler CV730S for a B&S 44N877 - can't figure out 6-pin harness

cmrho

Threads
  • / Swapping Kohler CV730S for a B&S 44N877 - can't figure out 6-pin harness
Firstly, thanks for your help. I've been scouring the interweb but cannot find the info I need.

The old 26hp Kohler CV730 gave out so I replaced it with a Briggs & Stratton 24hp engine (model 44N877). The 6 pin connector on the mower side has the following color wires: orange, red, black, blue/red, white (5 wires). I cannot find anywhere what those wires correspond to. I've figured out that the Briggs & Stratton 6 pin connector on the engine side has the following wires: red + red (jumpered - alternator and light switch), black (magneto), grey (fuel solenoid), green (oil pressure).

I've looked through both the service and operations manual for the CV730 and nowhere can I find the description of the wires for the mower-side connector, just the description of the connector wiring on the engine side. Does anyone know what the wire colors on the mower side for the Kohler engine correspond to the B&S connector? I've attached what information I've been able to find.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-17 160100.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-07-17 160100.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2021-07-17 155915.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-07-17 155915.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 32

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you give us the mower brand and model?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The info is on pages 35 and 36; just takes a little deciphering.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you still have both mowers remove both blower housings
The only different thing will be the solenoid trigger wire
Mark the mowers wires where they went to on the old engine
Alternator, carb solenoid & magneto kill are the only connections you need
The blue wire that went to the starter will now have to go to the remote solenoid
And of course you will have to fit a remote solenoid.
The thin wire that went on the same starter terminal as the battery lead will go to the same place on the new solenoid as it powers the mower.
And of course you will need a starter cable to go from the new solenoid to the starter on the B & S engine.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The problem you could run into is the fuel solenoid wire. If you look at the Kohler engine harness you will notice a blue/red wire together the reason for this is that on the Kohler engine harness is that on some mowers the switch will drop the circuit that feeds the fuel shut off solenoid out when you turn the key to the start position. Thus the red and blue wire together so the exciter wire blue will feed the fuel solenoid in the start position. The Kohler engine harness runs a wire from the starter exciter with to the fuel shut off solenoid with a diode in it so it won't feed the starter exciter wire and run the starter all the time. If you cut the Kohler harness open you see it has two diodes in it. one to feed the fuel solenoid in the start circuit and one to run the solenoid in the run position. You will have to wire these into the gray wire on the Briggs that feeds the fuel solenoid in the start circuit and the single red or red/purple wire that feeds the solenoid in the run position. Purple wire is the charge lead wire on the Kohler it should only be hot when key is. Hope I didn't miss anything. WHEW

cmrho

Threads
Ok, I took the blower housing off the old CV730 and matched it to the mower-side harness:

Harness connection - blue-red -----> Engine connection (no wire)
Harness connection -black -----> Engine connection (white - alternator)
Harness connection - red -----> Engine connection (purple and orange, orange is jumpered to purple, purple goes to rectifier regulator)
Harness connection - white -----> Engine connection (blue and red, blue to starter solenoid, red to carb solenoid)
Harness connection - empty -----> Engine connection (green, not connected to anything but suspect it would go to oil level sensor)
Harness connection - orange -----> Engine connection (red and orange, orange is jumpered to red, red goes to carb solenoid)

The two red wires on the engine side appear to go to 2 diodes which meet to a single red wire going to the carb solenoid.

The B&S engine side connection was listed in the first post: red (alternator), red (jumpered from red - goes to light switch), black (magneto), green (oil level), grey (fuel solenoid). At least that's what I think. I didn't want to open up the blower housing on a brand new engine. The interesting thing is that there is a grey AND black wire going to the carb solenoid on the B&S engine.

I've installed a starter solenoid and wired to the white wire on the harness. And the black wire (harness connection) to the red wire (engine side connection). The rest, I don't know. There is no 'magneto' wire on the current mower-side harness.

cmrho

Threads
If you still have both mowers remove both blower housings
The only different thing will be the solenoid trigger wire
Mark the mowers wires where they went to on the old engine
Alternator, carb solenoid & magneto kill are the only connections you need
The blue wire that went to the starter will now have to go to the remote solenoid
And of course you will have to fit a remote solenoid.
The thin wire that went on the same starter terminal as the battery lead will go to the same place on the new solenoid as it powers the mower.
And of course you will need a starter cable to go from the new solenoid to the starter on the B & S engine.
Replied to main thread but I did what you said:

Ok, I took the blower housing off the old CV730 and matched it to the mower-side harness:

Harness connection - blue-red -----> Engine connection (no wire)
Harness connection -black -----> Engine connection (white - alternator)
Harness connection - red -----> Engine connection (purple and orange, orange is jumpered to purple, purple goes to rectifier regulator)
Harness connection - white -----> Engine connection (blue and red, blue to starter solenoid, red to carb solenoid)
Harness connection - empty -----> Engine connection (green, not connected to anything but suspect it would go to oil level sensor)
Harness connection - orange -----> Engine connection (red and orange, orange is jumpered to red, red goes to carb solenoid)

The two red wires on the engine side appear to go to 2 diodes which meet to a single red wire going to the carb solenoid.

The B&S engine side connection was listed in the first post: red (alternator), red (jumpered from red - goes to light switch), black (magneto), green (oil level), grey (fuel solenoid). At least that's what I think. I didn't want to open up the blower housing on a brand new engine. The interesting thing is that there is a grey AND black wire going to the carb solenoid on the B&S engine.

I've installed a starter solenoid and wired to the white wire on the harness. And the black wire (harness connection) to the red wire (engine side connection). The rest, I don't know. There is no 'magneto' wire on the current mower-side harness.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is a Craftsman DYT4000
Flip up the seat and look on the bottom of the seat pan. You will see a model number and a serial number. Here’s the deal, some Craftsman mowers were made by MTD and some were made by AYP/Husqvarna.