SV600-009. Won't start. Need a little guidance please.

mission16

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / SV600-009. Won't start. Need a little guidance please.
Good evening all.
So the missus was mowing this morning and parked the mower. It was completely cooled down when I went out to finish up. It turned over and started to run for a couple seconds and stopped. After that, wouldn't fire at all.
What I have observed or have checked:
-have fuel in tank.
-have fuel at least past the in-line filter.
-pulled spark plug. It was dry.
-this season, the engine has gone to backfiring. I just read about shutting off engine at higher speed. I usually throttle down a little going into the shed.
-Engine has 600+ hours on it. Normal maintenance.
I've done a bit of googling and steering towards fuel pump (didn't realize these engines had a fuel pump) or fuel shut off solenoid.

Any guidance or input on narrowing down my problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pushing 8 years since I bough the repair run.
There were 6 new fuel pumps in the inventory.
There are 4 of them left
Impulse pumps rarely give you any trouble
The mechanical fuel pumps are a lot more of a problem but it is usually something silly that is a 2 minute fix.
Solenoids are a different matter, probably replaced a dozen or so, cleaned out at least 100 that were jambed full of crud & stuck on.

mission16

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pushing 8 years since I bough the repair run.
There were 6 new fuel pumps in the inventory.
There are 4 of them left
Impulse pumps rarely give you any trouble
The mechanical fuel pumps are a lot more of a problem but it is usually something silly that is a 2 minute fix.
Solenoids are a different matter, probably replaced a dozen or so, cleaned out at least 100 that were jambed full of crud & stuck on.

And,,,bingo-bango!!! It is fixed! It was the fuel solenoid, I took it off and it was stiff and hard to push down and pull up. It is down now and seems like it wants to stay there.
Should I put a new one on there or just leave it as is as long as the machine is starting and running properly?

Thank you so much for your reply!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Spray some carb cleaner down the side of the plunger and work the plunger up & down to work the crud out.
Continue till it pops up quickly
If you can not get it clean enough then either replace it or cut the head off the plunger.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
try cleaning it out like bert mentioned.
I usually just snip the plunger off flush, and screw it back in since they're not necessary to proper engine function.
I looked online and didn't see any individual solenoids for sale, several CCP ones on Amazon. that may or may not work.