Surging Tiger Cat 2 STCII-61V-26CV-EFI

Boocoodinkydow

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2020 Tiger Cat 2 with a Kawasaki FT730v EFI engine. It has about 50 hours of residential use. It cranks and idles fine but increasing RPM’s results in a methodical surge in engine speed. It reminds me of a governor problem on an old style carbureted engine I once had. Pulling it back to idle speed and it runs fine. I‘m getting good fuel flow past the filter. Am I correct in chasing a fuel problem or is there another possibility? I’ve noticed the battery symbol on the ”Tiger Eye” display blinks when I rev it up. Never paid attention before and not sure if this is normal or an indication of an electrical problem. No “check engine” light. I can’t wrap my head around a connection but the problem started about 5 minutes run time after I replaced the blades. Elevated the front but didn’t crank it until it was level for several minutes. Any suggestions appreciated.

Born2Mow

Threads
I'd start with the explanation for the warning light. That should be in your 2020 owners manual. If you don't have one, then Google it.

Rarely IME is a blinking light a good thing. :LOL:

Boocoodinkydow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanx Born2Mow. I do have a manual but info for the Tiger Eye is disappointingly sparse. I almost panicked when I first noticed the oil pressure indicator was at zero. While the manual makes no notation of the fact, I learn this mode isn’t operational on all models. Strange!!

The voltmeter indicator graph is working normally according to the manual. Unfortunately, there’s no reference to the battery symbol so not sure. I agree, however, a blinking light is seldom a good thing.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Off topic. I would like to see some repair bills on these new James Bond 0-turns with all the circuit boards and computers.

slomo

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Off topic. I would like to see some repair bills on these new James Bond 0-turns with all the circuit boards and computers.

slomo
I have had a couple folks call me about working on EFI engines with running problems and i told them the $40/hr guy doesn't have the equipment to troubleshoot it and they will need to take it to the $100/hr dealer. Someday the return on investment to buy the equipment needed to work on them may be there but not today.

Born2Mow

Threads
You can't even afford to see the repair bills !! :ROFLMAO:

geelee

Threads
ive seen this problem twice. if the regulator overcharges and voltage gets too high the computer lowers the engine speed, when voltage drops it revs back up over and over again. unplug the regulator. if the problem goes away replace the regulator

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like my GMC Terrain from a couple years ago where the radio went ape sh!+ and the car would lock you out randomly, nav would go nuts, and the radio lock up. New radio under warranty fixed it. Would have been over $1000 if i had to pay for it.