Surging Engine - Need Help

Big Benny

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, I've got an 2012 Exmark 60 inch X-series Kawasaki 29 on hit. Engine starts fine, runs fine and mows fine for about 5 minutes and then will die like you turn off the key. After starting back it will surge wide open and then back down but then starts surging while mowing before dying again. History, took carb off and cleaned thoroughly, replaced fuel filter. Couldn't get it right so I took it to a backyard mechanic and he replaced a broken spring not OEM which mower is now doing the same thing as when I took it. I have adjusted the governor arm which there is 2, one from the motor which is not adjustable and the other off of that one that goes to the carb with spring and rod. Any help before taking to the dealer?

Honda Tech

Threads
Take it to a good tech. May be more than a fuel issue. Better to be safe than sorry.

Big Benny

Forum Newbie
Threads
Still trying to work on the mower myself. I did notice that the engine runs good for about the first 5 minutes then starts surging. Will die like the fuel was cut off or power was cut off. I choked it to full choke as soon as I heard it was going to die and it surged back up to full throttle, is the fuel bowl running out of full.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Next time it acts up loosen the gas cap and see if it helps. If that fixes it then the tank vent system isn't working and this is new enough to have the non vented fuel cap, so you may have the secondary vent which comes out of the top of the tank with a line either going to the air filter side of the engine or to a charcoal canister.