Suggestiions for parts cleaner solvent

smhardesty

Threads
I found an old thread about this, but I have a slightly different question and the other thread was rather old, so here is a new conversation.

At the present time I'm going to use some plastic tubs for parts cleaning. I bought 6 of the exact same sized plastic tubs that each have a lid. I'll have a couple of different brushes to use, but my real question is about the type of cleaner to use.

I've seen suggestions for using kerosene, Simple Green, Super Clean, Purple Power, mineral spirits, paint thinner, and then the commercail solvents. When I was doing repairs before, I had a cheap parts washer that I ran mineral spirits in. Right now, I have a gallon of mineral spirits, a gallon of paint thinner, and a gallon of Super Clean that I could use. I could easily have a tub of each of those three, but I'd like to see what some of you guys think. It seems to me that with all the different suggestions, on all the different forums I have been reading, that the one fluid that seems to be most often suggested is plain, old kerosene. I have no problem with buying some kerosene, if that's what is recommended. I suppose I could even have 4 different tubs with different cleaners in them, but I think I should be able to narrow that down to just one or two.

I've never used a product like Simple Green or Super Clean for cleaning parts on small engines. That stuff is water based, if I'm correct. Doesn't using that possibly cause rust or corrosion on metal parts? I'd think that for cleaning metal and making sure it is in the best condition, a petroleum based cleaner that will leave a slight "oily" residue to prevent rust and corrosion would be best. Am I way off base?

Any and all comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I will say that unless I see something really different than what I'm thinking, I'm leaning towards a tub full of mineral spirits and MAYBE a tub with the Super Clean in it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depends upon what you are cleaning off.
If the parts are dirty but dry then it is the soda blaster, followed by a hot water rinse & blow dry.
If they are greasy or oily then it is degreaser followed by a pressure wash .
Two ultrasonic cleaners .
One had diesel in it the other has dishwashing detergent

smhardesty

Threads
I'd have to say that what I'm really referring to would be oily and greasy parts. Anything that is already dry and that will continue to be dry will get a good washing with probably something like Super Clean.

I'm afraid my little shop isn't a candidate for an ultrasonic cleaner. I have NO room and my budget needs consideration. That's the reason I said I would be using Tupperware type tubs with lids on them. They are small and can be easily stacked one on top of another under one end of my bench. I can have 2 or 3 tubs with various cleaners and then still have 3 or 4 tubs ready to replace one that has served it's time.

I had an opportunity to buy a pretty nice, used, Snap On parts washer at a place that is selling out. I had to pass on it even though his asking prices was well within any budget I might have, I'm just completely out of space. I had to also pass on an Oregon blade sharpener he had. It was almost new and his asking price was only $175. I just don't have room for it. My contractor is supposed to be here this week to put up a 10' x 17' shed in the backyard. That will open up some room, but I can't risk filling the space in the garage with shop equipment because I'll need the space to set all the OPE I have ready to sell inside each night. I'll be rolling the stuff outside each day, then back into the garage at night.

I do have a pressure washer to clean larger items with and usually then either set it out in the sun and air to dry, or at this time of year I set it in front of the heater. What I'm needing worse is a small tub with some type of cleaner in it for small parts like carbs.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Google soda blaster on you tube
An air duster, plastic bottle & a carton of bicarbonate of soda .
So about $ 5 .
You can get blasting soda $$$ or food soda $$ or agricultural / animal soda ¢¢
All the same stuff just the grain size is smaller so it cakes a bit
I bought a 25 kg bag for $ 20 and it lasted for 6 years
Just bought a 10 kg bag of blasting soda for the same price at a clearing auction .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Be careful of buying any new parts cleaner that has a pump as many I researched can no longer anything other than water based solvents.

For carburetor I use a 10L USC with soap and water. This soap can be your basic dish soap or stronger. I prefer a non residue soap of 12pH but on greasy carbs I initially the exteriors with 2 cycle mix using air power engine cleaning wand then I use Dawn Platinum for the first a couple cycle in the tank of the USC. Of course a rinse cycle is needed and light compressed air drying.

Now I got a Dingo here that will take a pressure washer to blast away the grime on the engine's crankcase as it is baked on. Man what a mess. Usually the 2 cycle cuts right thru the grime but not this time.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
sorry, i can't focus on your question as there is a clown staring at me.....🤣
i've got a 2L ultrasonic cleaner, $60. does everything i need it to do. i mainly use it for carburetors.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
i've got a 2L ultrasonic cleaner, $60. does everything i need it to do. i mainly use it for carburetors.
That is what I started out with but I have larger carburetors to clean so I went to a 6L version but still had problems getting every small engine carburetor in it so I now at a 10L level and most of the ATV and UTV carburetors fit in it. Tank shape and size is important to take into account when buying one.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Old pain pan, Diesel and an old paint brush.

smhardesty

Threads
sorry, i can't focus on your question as there is a clown staring at me.....🤣
OK. I get to tell everybody just how uninformed I am. When I first read "ultrasonic", I pictured two things in my head. One is the little ultrasonic cleaners that are used to clean jewelry. I knew that wouldn't work for what I need. The other is a BIG, expensive cleaner that would take a whole engine in it. I never realized there are cleaners like what is in that link. I might have to consider one of them. I can see where that would work great on carbs. Since I know nothing about ultrasonic cleaners, I'll ask this question. Do they clean EVERYTHING on a carb, including all the tiny passageways inside the carb? Or do they just clean off the outside? I think that will be the determining factor in my decision to buy one.

Either way, thanks loads for providing that link that educated me on ultrasonic cleaners.

smhardesty

Threads
Old pain pan, Diesel and an old paint brush.
That's what I had in mind. I guess my old farm boy mentality is still instilled in me. That's why I bought the bundle of 6 Tupperware type tubs with lids. I was just planning on dumping some mineral spirits in one and some Super Clean in another. My "plan", if you will, was to use the Super Clean to remove all the nasty gunk on the outside of the part (carb), then move it over to the tub with mineral spirits in it to get the tougher gunk and varnish removed. I was just curious to see what everybody else was recommending.