Stupid Mistake

timc1018

Threads
After using a Briggs engine for the last 20years, where by Owner Manual Process to ck oil, you remove, then fully insert dipstick and screw to lock, then remove to ck the oil, I followed the same process with my new Honda GXV160 engine, which resulted in running the engine first time with 12ounces of oil, as opposed to full oil level (just under 20ounces), so I was 8ounces short. After seeing a post on this site, then reading thru the manual last night after cutting the front yard, I read that you do not tighten, only re-insert to thread contact, before pulling dipstick back up to ck the oil. Never pulled apart an engine with "Splash Lubrication", but I am hopping there was a sufficient oil level for the dipper to access....Time will tell.

Funny thing was I actually read the manual prior to first start, but skipped over checking the oil as I thought any idiot can do that!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If your engine is not seized up and running ok, I would not be doing anything but filling the oil to the proper level and see what happens. No need to teardown and check for a problem when nothing is evident.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The distance between add and full is about 8 ounces in most cases. So you were basically running on the add mark. Most engines can pick up oil below the add mark, and in most cases off the dipstick.

timc1018

Threads
The distance between add and full is about 8 ounces in most cases. So you were basically running on the add mark. Most engines can pick up oil below the add mark, and in most cases off the dipstick.

Thanks for the update. Yeah full on the Honda is approx 20oz, so I was a little over half with having 12oz in it. I know the Briggs that I had was a tough engine, hopefully the Honda is the same....

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some if not all engines state this procedure on the dipstick. I know Kawasaki does this for sure on push mower engines.

slomo

Last edited:

timc1018

Threads
Yep, sometimes I just need to slow down, and think (and read). Other than that very pleased with the transplant.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some of not all engines state this procedure on the dipstick. I know Kawasaki does this for sure on push mower engines.

slomo
I've got an FR730V that uses that method, too. But I just take note of how much higher the oil is on the dipstick when it's correctly filled and use that. I don't like their way of checking oil. I always check it cold, too.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs is I think the only one that screws in the dipstick to check level. Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki,Tecumseh all sit on top of the threads.

wingstrut

Threads
Timc, Most newer engines have an auto low oil shut off, so if it started you are alright check your manual and keep your oil changed and full.

Wingstrut

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The thing is by the time the low oil shutoff activates in some cases the damage is already done.