stump grinder

jagg2236

Threads
Anyone have any suggestions for a homeowner buying a stump grinder? Make, price, etc? I have about 3 acre's with some trees that have to come down & the stumps must go. Paying to have them removed vs buying one would be off setting & I'd have it or sell it in the end. Most of the stumps are 18". Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most homeowner units are small handlebar walk behinds that will work you if there is very many stumps to grind. Bigger units have a much bigger cost of ownership. Maybe look into a rental unit and rent one for a couple of days to do your stumps. but wouldn't be a bad idea to get the local stumper grinder guy to give you a free estimate. that cost of removal may not be much more than renting one. But for comparison a commercial walk behind will set you back about 13K Homeowner model 3-6K larger units around 35hp will run around 37K and a 50hp gas or diesel around 60-70K.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF you are knocking out some trees then they will need to do some earth works as well
SO get a Dingo , Ditch Witch or similar that has the stump grinder with it
OR rent one for a weekend
IF you have never used one a walk behind grinder can be quite difficult & dangerous to use
On the end of a 1/2 ton machine it is easier & safer

jagg2236

Threads
Well, I bought my Power King 803 14 HP Kohler 12" cutting wheel stump grinder last month, $1700. Removed 5 stumps so far. I figure it will pay for it self in a few more stumps.