Stroll down memory lane for me

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads

Link to a utube vid of the type of bowling machine i worked on in high school. My uncle owned a small bowling alley and i worked there all 4 years of high school. When i was 14 my uncle drove me up to Norwalk Ohio where the AMF school was and paid the hotel bill and gave me money to eat on and left me there for the 2 week school. Minimum age was 16 but my parents lied and signed papers saying i was 16. I doubt today's helicopter parents would do that.

4getgto

Threads
"I doubt today's helicopter parents would do that."

You're right ,they wouldn't.
They'd just buy their schooling for them today..!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You guys never worked on a farm, did you. We were operating power equipment at 10 and driving tractors at 12. 12 hour days during the summer was not uncommon, but today the parents would be put in jail for child abuse, Think back, where did the hardest working teenagers you’ve dealt with grown up.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My father was born in 1911 in dirt poor eastern Kentucky. I thought i worked hard as a kid. Nothing compared to what his generation went through. And today kids think working at McDonald's is skilled labor and hard work.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Washing cars at the local petrol station, delivering lettrbox phamplets, delivering newspapers, packing pool chemicals, general hand at aluminium spinning factory , automatic car wash hand, driveway attendant, KFC Cook , Mc Donalds kitchen hand , chocolate factory production hand , gasket cutter , kick press operator, bakery bread room hand , wine botteling factory hand , bar useful .
All of this before I had graduated high school , many of them concurrent .
Then there were full time night shift jobs , early morning shifts and weekend work while I was at college .

I listen to all of the graduates crying about how they can not find a job and have a belly laugh.
NExt come all those crying poor mouth because they finished their college degrees and had to pay back the education allowance they were paid by the govenrment and the government loan to cover their college fees that amount to around $ 20,000 .
College graduates generally have a starting salary of $ 40 to 50 K
I had to pay $ 22 K up front when my starting salary was $ 8 k and they wonder why I have no sympathy for them.
The exception is foreign students who know the value of money so will do the same as I did & work a full time job while doing full time study and still come in the top 20% .

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You guys never worked on a farm, did you. We were operating power equipment at 10 and driving tractors at 12. 12 hour days during the summer was not uncommon, but today the parents would be put in jail for child abuse, Think back, where did the hardest working teenagers you’ve dealt with grown up.
On the farm, by far. I didn't live on a farm but had hay trucks in high school. If you worked on a hay crew, you didn't need to go to the gym. Which was just as well because there were no gyms back then.