stripped vent plugs on 54 inch Fastrak hydraulic housing

Martin D-18

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / stripped vent plugs on 54 inch Fastrak hydraulic housing
Changing hydraulic fluid on my Hustler FasTrak 54 inch, but can not remove the vent plugs to start the refill process,
they are allen head style bolts. Is there a work around to get the oil in the pump without removing these?

1slow5point0h

Threads
If there is a vent tube, which I would think there is..not 100% sure though, you could fill it through that. It’d be a slow process. The fill plug location makes it difficult to use a chisel to break the plug loose if/when it strips out.

Martin D-18

Forum Newbie
Threads
yes sir, the location of the vent bolts are a bear to get to! Both refuse to budge. I had removed these 100 hours ago when I changed the hydraulic fluid before. I now have them drenched in Aero Kroil, but do not really think they will respond.
I may try to file flats on the outside (rounded) flange of the bolts and use vice grips on them tomorrow.

1slow5point0h

Threads
Mine were a pain on my last mower too. Haven’t had to service my new one but I dread it. I used my 3/8 breaker bar and a short piece of pipe for extra leverage. There’s no reason those plugs with a 1/4” Allen need to be that tight from the factory. I have to deal with similar things at work on a daily basis. The military loves using small Allen head bolts with loctite ??‍♂️

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Metals do stick together when torqued conditions. In some cases it is done intentionally to pressure (cold) weld a joint. Even things with o-rings stick as the rubber bonds with the metals.

This why I see so many Phillips (cross point) screws stripped out. I use large punch and heavy hammer to shock these screws loose. Just remove two screws yesterday that the previous nearly strip the Phillips out. So tight from metals sticking together you couldn't even turn them with vise grips. Shocked them and they unscrew fairly easy afterwards.
Mine were a pain on my last mower too. Haven’t had to service my new one but I dread it. I used my 3/8 breaker bar and a short piece of pipe for extra leverage. There’s no reason those plugs with a 1/4” Allen need to be that tight from the factory. I have to deal with similar things at work on a daily basis. The military loves using small Allen head bolts with loctite ??‍♂️
Homelite is bad about this, using red Loctite on 4mm socket head screws. A real pain to get out.

Martin D-18

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got those pesky stripped bolts out and finished re-fill and purge of Hydraulic system today.
I used a chisel to form a seat on the rounded vent bolt shoulder, then a long punch to move the bolt off locked
status, from there it was easy. I used a 1/4 inch drill drive adapter, with an adapter to a 3/8 socket , to use an 11MM
socket on the adapter assy. for removing. I also wrapped Teflon tape on the threads to expedite easier removal next time around, Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! picture attached.

Hustler stripped bolt tool.jpg

1slow5point0h

Threads
Metals do stick together when torqued conditions. In some cases it is done intentionally to pressure (cold) weld a joint. Even things with o-rings stick as the rubber bonds with the metals.

This why I see so many Phillips (cross point) screws stripped out. I use large punch and heavy hammer to shock these screws loose. Just remove two screws yesterday that the previous nearly strip the Phillips out. So tight from metals sticking together you couldn't even turn them with vise grips. Shocked them and they unscrew fairly easy afterwards.

Homelite is bad about this, using red Loctite on 4mm socket head screws. A real pain to get out.
One of these hand impact drivers works wonders sometimes. Use the BFH and a couple good whacks and the shock/rotation combo will break "most” things loose..usually. If there’s room to get it in there.

Attachments

• A7A28053-5DFA-407B-A204-386DA1D71DD7.jpeg
    A7A28053-5DFA-407B-A204-386DA1D71DD7.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1