Still learning the jargon

melt.burn.make

Forum Newbie
Threads
As with any new avenue of research, I'm still learning the ins/outs/terminology for mowers but I'm enjoying the process!

My wife and I just moved onto 2 acres of nice flat farmland and aim to make a dent in it. We're looking to buy either a ZTR or other riding mower and would love to also be able to use a tilling attachment if at all possible (who's not gonna plant some veggies on 2 acres?). If anyone has advice on what I should or shouldn't be looking for or can just point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

From my research so far, I've walked away with a couple of possibly wrong findings:
  • Avoid Briggs and Stratton engines because they're junk (people seem to like Kohler or Kawasaki)
  • Husqvarna brand does not honor its warranty and people have a lot of trouble seeking repairs
  • Kubota is great but expensive in all cases
  • ZTR's lack the ability to use non-mowing attachments (snowblower, hauling wagon, tilling, etc)
Feel free to tear those to shreds. Thanks all for your help, I look forward to learning more :)

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would buy Briggs Vanguard before anything Kohler. Kawasaki is good
I don't know of any ZTR tbat is designed for ground engaging implents. The homeowner grade machines are not designed to pull anything. Commercial ones can pull some things but not much.
You might look for a good used Deere 425 or 445 tractor. It will cut the grass and plow the garden. If you have the $$ look for something like a Deere X720. The JD stuff has lots of accessories on the used market, power steering, remote hydraulics, shaft driven mower deck. Liquid cooled Kawasaki engine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would recommend the Kubota. Yes most feel that they are pricey, but you get what you pay for. Bouncing around on two acres and using a tiller, will shorten the life on any on the home owner entry level units. I’m not talking a BX or B series as that is to big for two acres, but the GR series. Look at the cost of the unit over the long run, not just initial investment. Anything built by MTD and Husqvarna is a good NO, NO, plus any units sold by the big box stores.

Romore

Threads
Where have you been getting your information? Consumer Reports? I take them with a grain of salt. I worked in the power equipment industry for years and have a few observations. Briggs overall is good although some models have their quirks. The ohv verticals will overheat if the cooling fins are not kept clear and valve guides then walk. Husqvarna is on par with their warranty but it depends on how conscientous the dealer is. ZTR's are great for mowing but so-so with other attachments. The high end consumer models will handle a snowblower but not as well as a tractor.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum!
We're always happy to help with the decision process :)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you open your wallet, make a detail plan .
Two acres is not much to farm on .
My second oldest customer is 86 and he just stopped farming his 10 hill side acres which he been doing single handed for 30 years since his father died using nothing but walk behinds which would all be better than 60 years old and a local copy of the UK Bull Dog tractor made during WWII fitted with a platform to get stuff up the steep hill.
IMHO you would be best served with the largest fast ZTR that will fit between your smallest space on the lawn as you will mow 30 to 50 times a year but will plow 5 to 6 times a year if at all .
If you are only going to grow for family & friends then have a good think about doing no till gardening or even a permaculture type of garden a lot of work to establish but very little in the way of maintenance for decades to com.
Got another customer on 25 acres.
He built 3 houses , landscaped the front 5 acres and farms about 5 using a stand on digger he bought 2nd hand for $ 15,000 ( aus ) with all the gear .
He bought a flail mower & 4' plow to go with it as they were not in the contractors pack ( ripper blade , 4 way bucket, post hole auger , fork blades , cement mixer & pump ) that came with it.
Powered by Wisconsin V twin ( which is why he is a customer ) . Even better is it takes about 2 minutes to change impliments which is a lot faster & easier than with any Garden or Sub-Compact tractor I have ever seen .

The advice about avoiding the slightly bigger lawn mowers pretending to be tractors is good .
I will add to that to avoid any supposedly "tractor" that has a vertical shaft engine, there are made exclusively for mowers where the only important thing is price .

IF it were me spending the money then it would e an ex comercial ZTR with fabricated deck of 48" to 61" then what ever farming gear I thought I might need .
I would mount an electric sprayer over the engine bay on the ZTR .

melt.burn.make

Forum Newbie
Threads
Before you open your wallet, make a detail plan .
Two acres is not much to farm on .
My second oldest customer is 86 and he just stopped farming his 10 hill side acres which he been doing single handed for 30 years since his father died using nothing but walk behinds which would all be better than 60 years old and a local copy of the UK Bull Dog tractor made during WWII fitted with a platform to get stuff up the steep hill.
IMHO you would be best served with the largest fast ZTR that will fit between your smallest space on the lawn as you will mow 30 to 50 times a year but will plow 5 to 6 times a year if at all .
If you are only going to grow for family & friends then have a good think about doing no till gardening or even a permaculture type of garden a lot of work to establish but very little in the way of maintenance for decades to com.
Got another customer on 25 acres.
He built 3 houses , landscaped the front 5 acres and farms about 5 using a stand on digger he bought 2nd hand for $ 15,000 ( aus ) with all the gear .
He bought a flail mower & 4' plow to go with it as they were not in the contractors pack ( ripper blade , 4 way bucket, post hole auger , fork blades , cement mixer & pump ) that came with it.
Powered by Wisconsin V twin ( which is why he is a customer ) . Even better is it takes about 2 minutes to change impliments which is a lot faster & easier than with any Garden or Sub-Compact tractor I have ever seen .

The advice about avoiding the slightly bigger lawn mowers pretending to be tractors is good .
I will add to that to avoid any supposedly "tractor" that has a vertical shaft engine, there are made exclusively for mowers where the only important thing is price .

IF it were me spending the money then it would e an ex comercial ZTR with fabricated deck of 48" to 61" then what ever farming gear I thought I might need .
I would mount an electric sprayer over the engine bay on the ZTR .
Thanks for the input! Any recommendations on an ex commercial ZTR?

melt.burn.make

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would recommend the Kubota. Yes most feel that they are pricey, but you get what you pay for. Bouncing around on two acres and using a tiller, will shorten the life on any on the home owner entry level units. I’m not talking a BX or B series as that is to big for two acres, but the GR series. Look at the cost of the unit over the long run, not just initial investment. Anything built by MTD and Husqvarna is a good NO, NO, plus any units sold by the big box stores.
If not buying from a big box store, where should I purchase through?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Used farm machinery dealers , usually a bit more expensive than craigs list or evilabay but generally a better condition mower .
Use google maps or google earth to print out a photo of your block so you can work out what you want to do.
If you plant trees remember to plant them at least twice your deck size apart .
There is even a for sale section on this forum.
And be preparred to travel a bit .
Clearance sales on the urban / rural fringe are always good because the landholder has just made good money selling the farm for housing developement and most stuff is sold unreserved cause the developer wants it gone.