Stihl/Dolmar Carburetor Interchange?

impcon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do have a Stihlfs85 as well as several 045 Still chain saws, but my question is in regard to the ZAMA carburetors that Stihl used on certain models such as the FS73, FS83, FC73 and HT 73 that looks like this one pictured below:
1595637767388.png

I have a Dolmar MS230c which is an awesome line trimmer but I am in need of a carburetor as the original lone has issues. It will not rev right out but rather at full throttle, it seems to get right to the edge of running full out like it should, but it holds back and just wont cross that line to where I can use it.

I have been trying to figure whattype of carb the DOlmar has and it seems that it is a ZAMA and an identical looking unit to what some Stil trimmers apparently use. Does anyone know if this carb stated as being for a Stihl trimmer, will swap over onto the Dolmar and run it safely? This is all pretty confusing for my tired old mind and I'd hate to have to discard the Dolmar. My Stihl FS85 was dropped off at the repair shop today for carb work, leaving me with no weed eater and I have a ton of heavy weed whacking to do to even begin to get caught up after our wet Spring this year.

I looked at new Stihl commercial grade trimers and they are out of my budget and with alll the nonsense going on out there these days, I am in no hurry to acquire any more debt. Besides, I like my Dolmar and my FS85.. If anyone has any knowlede as to whether the Zama card stated as being for a Stihl would work on the Dolmar,please let me know. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks for reading this..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nothing particular unique about a hand held carburettor and most will interchange quite fine.
What you have to be very careful is the type & position of the impulse line that powers the fuel pump.
After that it is just a matter of rearranging the throttle linkage so it will hook up to the carb
The carb you have pictured is a string trimer / blower carb not a chainsaw carb.

However as you have asked this question then I would suggest such modifications might be a challenge for you.
Post a picture of the actual carb off your saw . all 4 sides in clear focus & the good members of this forum should be able to make replacement suggestions.
Remember a carb is carb is a carb so they can be interchanged .

dougand3

Threads
Makita and Dolmar merged. Call them Dolkita. Makita BCM2310 should be similar. Search ebay for Makita BCM2310 Gas String Trimmer carburetor carb part KK21044AA. Compare it to your carb.

impcon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the advice on the carb. Please forgive me for not stating that my Dolmar is in fact a weed eater and not a chain saw which I inadvertantly led you to believe. I sincerely apologize for my lack of clarity there.

I have removed the carb from my Dolmar and it is not a Zama unit, but rather a Walbro WYA-8A 575. Looking at the unit in bettwer light and with my glasses seems to help to read the numbers *blushes* I mistook it for a Zama as I found pictures of a Zama carb that appeared to be the same on Ebay, but yeah, it's a Walbro unit.

I found the carb that you mentioned on Ebay but the shipping is a bit outlandish at over $25.00 Canadian to have it shipped into Canada. I'll wait for the border to reopen ( if it ever does *sighs* ) as we have a U.S. mailing address and we live close to the border. Aside from the one fuel nipple appearing to sit on a different angle from my carb, the units appear to be the same. I've tried three times to post pictures of my carb but each time I have lost my text but I ican try again if you wish to see my carb. I sure appreciate the information as that Dolmar is one of the most comfortable to use weed eaters that I have ever owned and I much prefer using it compared to my Stihl FS73 which is much more cumbersom and it seems somewhat heavier although I have never weighed both machines to compare. All l know is that my lower back doesn't like the Stihl and I really feel it after a couple of hours where as the Dolmar is easier and nicer to use.