stihl BG 55 Blower

Kennykenny

Threads
I have a Stihl BG55 blower. I have been adjusting both of the carburetor screws because the blower does not always start well and when running, does not power up and does not idle well. I have removed the idler cap on the high-speed screw to allow for full screw adjustment.

It always appears that I get the blower starting and idling well. I use it and put it away. Upon the next use, I have the same issues. Can someone please give me a quick tutorial on how to adjust the carburetor? This is very frustrating.

Finally, when the blower is shut down, I can hear a clanging noise internally. Any idea what that might be?

Thank you.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
See attached file

Attachments

• STIHL BG86 CARBURETOR ADJUST.pdf
    152.2 KB · Views: 12

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you removed the muffler and checked to see if the screen and muffler are not plugged?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check and see if the blower fanwheel is not loose.
Also try running it without the air filter, it may be so dirty that the blower cannot breathe, wash it with hot soapy water to clean.

Kennykenny

Threads
Check and see if the blower fanwheel is not loose.
Also try running it without the air filter, it may be so dirty that the blower cannot breathe, wash it with hot soapy water to clean.
I have washed the air filter. How do I go about accessing the blower fan wheel to tighten? Thank you for the suggestions.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Please note this is a left hand threaded nut. Fan Wheel nut is torqued to 17 nM (150 in-lbs). You will need a LH torque wrench. THis should the same info for the BG 55 but I get a copy of the SM to be later today.

Attachments

• BG86 Fan.pdf
    107.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

gle_kirb

Forum Newbie
Threads
BG 55 Stihl blower: Will Not Start
To check the flywheel key to determine if it is sheared or not:
Take off the 'starter pull' shroud, take spark plug out, use a phillips screwdriver and place in spark plug hole top of piston.
While holding it touching the piston, rotate flywheel to where the magnetic portion aligns with the coil. If the piston is top dead center when the magnetic portion of flywheel is aligned with coil, the key is not sheared. I think the firing order is about 10-15 degrees pre-TDC or just prior to actually aligning with the coil. I also checked the switch which was working fine.
Three things an engine must have in order to run. Fuel, Ignition and Compression
My BG 55 would not fire under any circumstance. I checked the compression and it was holding at 93psig.
You need about 75psig minimum to start.
I had 'some' fire from the old coil but not much. I ordered a new carburator and a new coil, new spark plug, air and fuel filter,
put them on and it would not hit a lick even then.
I just tore it all down to the piston and found that the rings were stuck in their grooves respectifully from prior piston scuffing the aluminum was rolled over onto the piston ring groove thus keeping them from flexing outward.
I am thinking the 93psig compression check was pressure built up in the whole crankcase and not just above the rings/pistons etc. (false positive)
I cannot think of anything else that would keep this thing from firing.
I intend to replace the rings and see if this will fix it. I am getting close to $55.00 in this old thing and do not wish to get any deeper.
However lengthy, I trust this post will help!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sorry but it takes a minimum of at least 100+ psi for a 2 cycle to even try to hit. At 93 PSI you be below this minimum compression level; therefore, it should not even hit. I personally have only seen one 2 cycle in ten years to hit at 95 PSI.

gle_kirb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry but it takes a minimum of at least 100+ psi for a 2 cycle to even try to hit. At 93 PSI you be below this minimum compression level; therefore, it should not even hit. I personally have only seen one 2 cycle in ten years to hit at 95 PSI.
I had googled about the compression and that particular post stated the 75psig minimum.
Thanks for the update and I will do a check again with new rings. The psig should be much higher.
Thanks