Stens has up'd their free shipping limit

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's now $185 instead of $150. They had a special going last month that was under $100. Wished I'd have needed more parts then.
I just made a $125 order. I tried to think of another $55 worth of stuff I needed, but just couldn't do it.
The limit increase had me looking on Ebay & Amazon for the parts I needed from Stens.

$35 isn't enough to knock me out of being a customer. But it does make one shop around a little more.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
It's now $185 instead of $150. They had a special going last month that was under $100. Wished I'd have needed more parts then.
I just made a $125 order. I tried to think of another $55 worth of stuff I needed, but just couldn't do it.
The limit increase had me looking on Ebay & Amazon for the parts I needed from Stens.

$35 isn't enough to knock me out of being a customer. But it does make one shop around a little more.
The Stens representative contacted via phone recently because I had filled out a request online showing interest. He said he was coming by out on field calls in a couple of weeks (no show, no call). I asked him what kind of savings I could expect from Stens over Amazon and EBay. He said about 14%, which isn’t much. Obviously they have tiered pricing based on volume. So I don’t pay taxes (or very little) on Amazon and EBay, have fantastic service and error free orders, have free shipping usually, can order parts just in time, Small if large order, and quality parts , great selection, and good prices. Why would I switch?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It all depends on your operation. For me it is worth it to have Stens and Rotary accounts. Stens with the Xtreme PTO clutches have save me a lot of my funds over purchasing direct from Xtreme. Just started with Rotary and it will take time to order in replacement stock as I sell out the A&I parts I have on hand.

Shipping charges are and have been part of my purchases so I calculate it into my customer's final cost for parts. (Just depends if I need to charge it as a separate fee or not). But all of us do I do try to meet minimum free shipping amounts, just plain good business sense. Sometimes it is well worth it to pay a small shipping fee with push comes to shove on repairs.

lowest cost is not necessary the best deal when you got to get a achine out the door quickly. It the 930M ignition switch I just installed. I could have saved $25 on one but it would have taken nearly a month to get it out of China vs getting one within a few days from an eBay supplier which still save the shipping that my regular JD parts supplier charges.

One side note you got to be careful on what you order as there are con jobs out there that claim OEM parts but ship after market parts. I ran into this several times lately.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Stens representative contacted via phone recently because I had filled out a request online showing interest. He said he was coming by out on field calls in a couple of weeks (no show, no call). I asked him what kind of savings I could expect from Stens over Amazon and EBay. He said about 14%, which isn’t much. Obviously they have tiered pricing based on volume. So I don’t pay taxes (or very little) on Amazon and EBay, have fantastic service and error free orders, have free shipping usually, can order parts just in time, Small if large order, and quality parts , great selection, and good prices. Why would I switch?

Why switch? If your buying OEM from Ama/EBay at a good price, then yeah that's the way to go. But if the OEM's are high and you have to go with aftermarket, Sten's quality is guaranteed to be better. Especially on those two cycle carbs. I've yet to get a bad Stens carb. But the Amazon aftermarkets, it's a crap shoot. Even with their 4 stroke carbs. I've got a box that has some that are anywhere from 6 months old to 6 minutes old that are just junk.
Plus Stens delivers faster here than Amazon or Ebay. Seems everything I buy from Amazon now a days takes at least a week to get. Stens is usually 3 days. But that's because UPS has a stupid thing going on here.
Everything goes to the Little Rock DC. They then load it onto another truck and ship it about 30 miles south to their Pine Bluff DC. If the driver shows up anytime after about 4am, it sit at that DC for a whole day. When I lived in Texas, it was always two working days to the shop.
Amazon use to be almost always be two days. Here lately, they've slowed way down.

That quick shipping, at least for some of us is necessary, because it keeps from getting piled up with equipment. I don't like having too much stuff torn apart, at one time.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If your buying OEM from Ama/EBay at a good price, then yeah that's the way to go.
Problem is there's no way to tell you are getting real deal OEM parts off Amazon/Ebay. Spark plugs are hugely pirated just for one.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And mentioning shipping charges all my vendors have up the base rates.

Currently
RBI is 14.85
Gardner is 13.99
Stens is 12.50

Problem is there's no way to tell you are getting real deal OEM parts off Amazon/Ebay. Spark plugs are hugely pirated just for one.
And some Amazon vendors will lie too saying they selling OEM when they ship after market parts.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
And mentioning shipping charges all my vendors have up the base rates.

Currently
RBI is 14.85
Gardner is 13.99
Stens is 12.50

And some Amazon vendors will lie too saying they selling OEM when they ship after market parts.

Less than $15 isn't really bad, I suppose. I have a close friend who died recently. His son was going to ship me a guitar he wanted me to have. Who ever he was trying to ship it through, wanted over $100.

Lawn Addict
Threads
It would be great to sometime hear someone lowered their price...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you take a pay cut then you can lower your prices
Inflation is built in into every Western Economic system in order to maintain th value of capitalist capital
Thus everything has to continually go up in price , except wages which in the USA in particular has remained unchanged for decades so shareholders can take bigger dividends .