Steel Weed Whacker

wrldtvlr

Threads
I've found electric/battery and even gas nylon string trimmers to have limited usefulness for anything other than just grass. The strings wear out quite quickly, the bounce hubs tend to not work well and break. I have a fair amount of weedy hillside areas that need attention. Weeds with stiff, sometimes close to woody stems. Was thinking about getting a trimmer and then one of the steel replacement cutter heads. Local big box store has a couple of options. One is a four pointed metal disc, the other is a plate with three metal fingers. Do these work well with a stock 25cc trimmer?

Last edited:

dcgrazier

Threads
I have used a 4 cutting edge blade on thick weeds and brush. My trimmer handled the job nicely. Yours will do the same. Be sure to use safety glasses, good work shoes, some heavy trousers, and gloves. The other thing you need to do is keep a firm grip on your machine. Be prepared for the possibilities of kick back if you strike a stone or large branch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a big difference between a line trimmer & a brushcutter
You can run line on a brushcutter but usually running a blade on a line trimmer will kill it pretty quick.
If you must do it then get one of the heads that runs a length of chain saw chain.
There are a lot easier on the clutch & drive shaft and of course can be sharpened easily.

Easy identification
If it has optional byll horn handles it is a brushcutterIf it only has a short or D handle it is a line trimmer

Never seen a brushcutter under 35cc

And heed DC's warning about kick backs with associated wrist injury and make sure you wear heavy shoes with thick long trousers if not proper chapps & spats

wrldtvlr

Threads
Thank you. Scanning through Amazon I can see the difference. There do appear to be some models that offer both head types.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are going to get a unit which you can use both heads on, do yourself a favor. First, make sure it is a straight shaft unit. Second, stick to one of the major brands. Failure to do both of these will give you a migraine in less than a year.