Startup blue smoke

TMen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Relatively new to the forum, and enjoying the knowledge/experience I've found so far. (y)

I inherited my fathers '05 L118 numerous years ago, it quickly became a blessing for my fall leaf pickup after adding a bagging system and blow-out baffle to the 42" Edge deck. More recently I've noticed at startup a puff of blue smoke which subsides quickly then not noticed again while mowing. I'm considering that this could be caused by the B&S Intek needing rings as it does have 450+ hours showing on the meter. This JD was purchased new at a dealer (when dealers still sold 100 series - prior to bigbox store/JD interventions) and it was always maintained by my father for oil/filter changes at required intervals.... though, he did always use straight 30wt oil due to acquiring a couple cases of it from a friend years ago.... which I also inherited/acquired remaining oil and continued use of up until a couple years ago.... I've since switched to a 10w-30 synthetic blend.
So... is a ring-job a worthwhile investment or would you (should I) just live with the small amount of smoke?

This past spring I purchased new my second JD yard tractor, an S170, from a bigbox store, ( 'cause no dealer of 3 in my area could accommodate me.) So far it has been used mainly as my mulching mower with a plug installed. I recently attached a set of Gator blades to the 48" Edge deck to see how these will handle the massive amount of Oak leaves I tend to deal with. In the first couple of "light leaf" mows I've made, I do notice a bit more blow-out, even with the factory welded-in front baffle that's been added on this deck, so that's a bit of a disappointment, but not a deal breaker if it chews up the leaves. And if the leaf bits get too unsightly, I can always use the old JD with the bagger for perfect cleanup.(y)

D

Deleted member 97405

Just a bit of history. Dealers still sell the 100 series and always have. The series started as the Sabre and Scotts lines. The smaller ones were based off the STX, and the larger ones were based off the GT frames with cheaper engines, transmissions, and mower decks. Eventually, they were redesigned completely into a machine similar to yours, but still under the Sabre/Scotts brands. The Sabre were off-color green. Scotts were orange. Sabre were sold at dealers and Lowes while the Scotts were sold exclusively at Home Depot, but they were the same machines otherwise as the Sabres. I have worked at a dealership since 1998, and I remember when this line was created. I was also part of the meetings with Deere and Lowes when this line was introduced. Once Deere saw that the Sabre and Scotts were selling at the bulk stores, they decided to put their name and traditional green/yellow colors on them. The L118 was sold at dealers and Lowes and Home Depot. To this day, it is still the same. Dealers and the bulk stores sell the same machines. There is no difference between a machine sold at a dealer versus one sold at the bulk store. Just thought you'd enjoy some history on the subject!

To your question regarding the smoke. As long as it clears up, you're fine! On a V-twin engine, you have a low cylinder and a high cylinder. When sitting, it is normal for oil to pool up on the bottom cylinder, get past the rings, and get blown out on startup. My guess is your ring gap is close to the bottom of the cylinder, and that is how the oil is getting past when it sits. You're seeing this oil get blown out on startup. If the blue smoke continues, then there is a problem. Otherwise, just keep an eye on your oil level, and you're fine. Good luck!

TMen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies and brief history. I suppose I could of clarified better when mentioning of the 3 dealers I attempted to buy from in a 20-25 mile radius of my location.... these dealers "seemed" to "conveniently" NOT be able to acquire a 170 model or other 100s' lawn mowers all the while that Lowes had a few models in stock.
An acquaintance and friend that is retired from a local community Parks Department, that used JD products exclusively in maintaining grounds and dealt exclusively with one of the local JD dealers (of my attempts) told me that a salesman once made the comment "the dealership had no advantage to sell the 100 series mowers 'cause JD set the price, be it dealer or big box store and if we/dealer can't make a profit - charge more $, we won't offer them" .... but they do get and will perform any and all warranty work on any 100 series sold elsewhere. Apparently per Will1988 this is not the business thinking of all JD dealers.. but in my area, it sure plays that way.

Funny story....I was on a waiting list of one of the dealers which kept telling me they may be receiving a S170 and it would have my name on it..... well I was watching all the area Lowes websites all the while too.... one day two S170' showed "available".... I was all over it! drove right to the store and paid in full, rented a trailer a couple days later and it followed me home, I'm a happy new JD owner! ... A day later I get a call from my "on list" dealer, "hey, I found you a 170, it's at LOWES"... I couldn't contain my laughing, "yeah, I already have it home... Thanks for the timely update". 🤣

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dealers are not under an obligation to lose money on a transaction. The question their owners have to ask is how much good will do we lose? What makes it hard for them is let's say they get in six and set a price of X, at minimum markup. They are paying for the flooring, paying a commission, paying for lights and overhead. Lowe's gets in a dozen and puts a $150 off price on them. The dealer doesn't shop Lowe's everyday so someone comes in looks at one, says thanks and leaves. They got to Lowe's and buy it. Next they tell all their friends that the dealers tried to screw them out of $150. Now the dealer has bad faith to deal with, but it is not their doing. The dealer can maybe sell a half dozen of the models a year. Lowe's can sell 3500 nationally. Guess who gets the best price when ordering from the factory. Lowe's. "We will buy 3500 units and here are the 1200 addresses we want them shipped to," vs, dealer, "I'll take 6, 3 now and 3 in six months."

D

Deleted member 97405

Thanks for the replies and brief history. I suppose I could of clarified better when mentioning of the 3 dealers I attempted to buy from in a 20-25 mile radius of my location.... these dealers "seemed" to "conveniently" NOT be able to acquire a 170 model or other 100s' lawn mowers all the while that Lowes had a few models in stock.
An acquaintance and friend that is retired from a local community Parks Department, that used JD products exclusively in maintaining grounds and dealt exclusively with one of the local JD dealers (of my attempts) told me that a salesman once made the comment "the dealership had no advantage to sell the 100 series mowers 'cause JD set the price, be it dealer or big box store and if we/dealer can't make a profit - charge more $, we won't offer them" .... but they do get and will perform any and all warranty work on any 100 series sold elsewhere. Apparently per Will1988 this is not the business thinking of all JD dealers.. but in my area, it sure plays that way.

Funny story....I was on a waiting list of one of the dealers which kept telling me they may be receiving a S170 and it would have my name on it..... well I was watching all the area Lowes websites all the while too.... one day two S170' showed "available".... I was all over it! drove right to the store and paid in full, rented a trailer a couple days later and it followed me home, I'm a happy new JD owner! ... A day later I get a call from my "on list" dealer, "hey, I found you a 170, it's at LOWES"... I couldn't contain my laughing, "yeah, I already have it home... Thanks for the timely update". 🤣
As a dealer, we only stock 2 models in the 'cheap' lineup. We do not focus on them. Understand they are designed as a throwaway model, and Deere's focus is on the bulk stores selling them rather than the dealerships because the line was created to directly compete against the cheap Cub Cadets, Troy Bilts, etc that are next to them in the bulk stores. Even Deere will tell you that they are built for a 5-7 year lifespan, even though we've seen them last 10+ years. For this reason, during the last few years of the mess up in the world, Deere stocked the bulk stores more than the dealers. Deere wanted their product mostly where the direct competition was. The dealers focus more on the exclusive models that are still built on the legendary Deere quality and lifespan. That is why a lot of dealers let customers buy them at bulk stores rather than choking up their showrooms with them. As a former lawn and garden service shop manager/tech with over 20 years of experience, I would rather the customer bought it at Lowes or HD because, for our dealership, we had to add setup and freight to our cost, which meant the bulk stores could beat us on price by just selling it at Deere's list price. The customer actually saved money by buying them at the bulk store. Dealer exclusive models actually have a better cost/margin built into the list price that allows us to include these costs into our dealer cost and still sell at list price. Plus, customers mostly shop at a dealership for a longer life machine versus a throwaway one. We have a lot of mountains here where I am as well and the 100 series transmission just don't last on those hilly yards, so we don't sell many due to that reason as well. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 97405

Dealers are not under an obligation to lose money on a transaction. The question their owners have to ask is how much good will do we lose? What makes it hard for them is let's say they get in six and set a price of X, at minimum markup. They are paying for the flooring, paying a commission, paying for lights and overhead. Lowe's gets in a dozen and puts a $150 off price on them. The dealer doesn't shop Lowe's everyday so someone comes in looks at one, says thanks and leaves. They got to Lowe's and buy it. Next they tell all their friends that the dealers tried to screw them out of $150. Now the dealer has bad faith to deal with, but it is not their doing. The dealer can maybe sell a half dozen of the models a year. Lowe's can sell 3500 nationally. Guess who gets the best price when ordering from the factory. Lowe's. "We will buy 3500 units and here are the 1200 addresses we want them shipped to," vs, dealer, "I'll take 6, 3 now and 3 in six months."
Deere actually pays the local dealer to send a tech to Lowes/HD to setup the tractors from the shipping crates. They get paid per unit. Then the dealer gets another amount per unit when they register the warranty. I know because I used to process the claims and handle the payments. Deere even creates contests for dealers, and they can win prizes for setup/sales/warranty ratios. Lowes cannot pull these tractors out of crates themselves. The contract with Deere states that a Deere trained tech has to do it. That is a perk of buying a Deere. The dealer 'eats' this cost by stocking the units themselves, and since the dealer's own tech most likely set those units up at the bulk stores, they have the confidence that the units are ready to go. It's almost like an extended lot for them, so to speak. If a dealer sends you to the bulk store, they're not blowing you off. They are actually helping you out! I understand why it may seem that way, but when you see the picture, hopefully you understand. Next time you go to Lowes, look at the back of the tractor. You will probably see the local dealer's dealership sticker on it, usually on the back somewhere. Does that make sense?

TMen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found out that JD pays a local tech to setup the mowers at Lowes... mine has a sticker on the rear fender from the exact place my father bought his L118, and they are one of the dealers, actually the first I tried to buy from when I started looking for the S170, with no help getting me one. BTW,, they did a lousy job (if at all) leveling the deck, I had to get into the manual and do it myself... no worries though, if ya want it done right.. do it yourself!
Another BTW... It pains me to hear the lesser 100 series considerd a "throw-away" unit. Take care of things as they should and these should last a long time. My Dads' L118 is a 2005 and it still does the job its' meant to do, other than a bit of startup smoke. (y)

D

Deleted member 97405

I found out that JD pays a local tech to setup the mowers at Lowes... mine has a sticker on the rear fender from the exact place my father bought his L118, and they are one of the dealers, actually the first I tried to buy from when I started looking for the S170, with no help getting me one. BTW,, they did a lousy job (if at all) leveling the deck, I had to get into the manual and do it myself... no worries though, if ya want it done right.. do it yourself!
Another BTW... It pains me to hear the lesser 100 series considerd a "throw-away" unit. Take care of things as they should and these should last a long time. My Dads' L118 is a 2005 and it still does the job its' meant to do, other than a bit of startup smoke. (y)
For the 100 series, you have to look at them a different way than the rest of Deere's equipment lines. They are created solely for the purpose of competing in the lower end market, i.e. 'throwaway'. That being said, you are correct that if you maintain a machine, it will last a long time. For example, we have a Craftsman a little older than, but in the same category as, your dad's Deere, and it still works like a champ!