Starting Issues on Kohler 20hp on cub cadet ltx 1045

Samhiggi

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a cub cadet ltx 1045 with a Kholer 20 hp engine. If the mower sits for a week or so (due to unending rain) it doesn't want to start. When the key is turned the lights come on but it just is dead. I can continue to turn the key off and on and eventually it starts as it is supposed to. This has been going on for some time but I would like to fix it. I think I may have even bought new batteries when not needed because of this issue. I keep a solar trickle charge connected to the batter when not in use.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Scroll down page to lawn tractors & LTX & click, then click at bottom left of screen. Do you keep your tractor in outbuilding out of weather? Check all electrical connections by hand making sure they are tight & secure, especially all ground straps & cables. Check ignition switch connection at backside of dash. For Safety remove negative battery cable & out of way of post, unplug ignition harness from switch at backside of dash. Clean connections at ignition switch & plug. Install Dielectric Grease with q-tip to harness plug, watch video below. Reinstall negative battery cable & give her a try. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark
After clicking link below scroll down page to "HOW TO USE" first & click.
Scroll down page locating your engine, see troubleshooting section, website below.

Last edited:

evh

Threads
I have CC LTX-1045 with a similar problems as you. I removed the solenoid from the back (under the frame to the left of the battery) and cleaned all the contacts/wires. I noted that the large wires going to it were not that tight on it. That solved my issue.

Samhiggi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for just now reading have been tied up with other issues. I will look into both your suggestions and let you know.

Ronni

Threads
  • / Starting Issues on Kohler 20hp on cub cadet ltx 1045
I had a similar problem with my 2007 LT1045 20HP Kohler. I ended up replacing the starter solenoid because of worn-out contacts. I also replaced my 3-year-old battery. Talking to the auto parts dealer; he stressed that I also use a trickle charger to keep the battery up when I am not using the mower after the mowing season or as mowing season approaches to keep the battery up to the needed voltage for the first start up. After that, my problems starting problems were over. I also make it a habit to drain the gas tank at the end of the season and run the engine to drain the carburetor bowl to keep it from getting gummed up. In the past, I have also had problems with the fuel solenoid underneath the carburetor and replaced it.

Forest#2

Threads
  • / Starting Issues on Kohler 20hp on cub cadet ltx 1045
Might think about:
Try using an electrical tester so as you can logically troubleshoot your electrical issue instead of just guessing at the problem.
If you do not have one you can buy such from Walley world for less than $20.
The HF ones are not worth the time or money.
Lots of info on-line about how to use them for troubleshooting stuff.