starting glitch xtxl48

JR645

Forum Newbie
Threads
This mower is ten years old and works fine except for this glitch. When I go to start it the starter doesn't engage immediately, it goes zzzzt and then nothing in which case I let off the key and turn it again, or it goes zzzzt and then turns the mower over. Most times I have to turn the key to start and then back several times before I can get the engine started. Two or three years ago I took the mower in to the local Gravely dealer and they fiddled with it for a week, and replaced the stator and some other electrical parts and still could not get it fixed to where it starts like it did when new. What do I need to do to fix this thing? All of the terminals including the battery connections are clean and brite.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
How old is the battery? i would also check the sitting voltage, and if you are able, see what the voltage drops to when you turn the key to start.
i would also clean both Positive connections on the Batt., solenoid and starter. as well as the ground wire on the battery and where ever it grounds to.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the starter pinion ( gear ) is not engaging with the flywheel
Take the blower housing off so you can see what is happening when you turn the key
The gears are a service replacement item