Starter Motor Replacement

phoneman44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone have a procedure for changing the starter on a Briggs and Stratton 26hp on a zero-turn Gravely?
Engine is 44p777-0127-B1. The mover is a ZT 2660HD.
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While it is not strictly necessary, it is easier if you remove the blower housing.
Then remove the power feed to the starter.
After that it is just 2 bolts
One is easy to access, the other hides partially behind the starter pinion.
Both have a torx hole in the middle, some thing around a # 40 from memory ( probably wrong )
However if you rotate the starter pinion to the top so it engages with the flywheel there is space for a 3/8 drive socket head to get in or a 1/2" drive long reach.
You can use a ring spannar but you only get about 1/12th turn at a time unless you have a cresent ( banana to some ) spannar .
It should be a dead simple job & B & S should have changed that mounting 40 years ago. the bolt just has to move 1/4" out.
One of the reasons why I hate working on B & S engines let alone the 3 spanners two screwdrivers and torx driver needed to remove the blower housing to start with plus pliers for the fuel pump hoses .

phoneman44

Forum Newbie
Threads
While it is not strictly necessary, it is easier if you remove the blower housing.
Then remove the power feed to the starter.
After that it is just 2 bolts
One is easy to access, the other hides partially behind the starter pinion.
Both have a torx hole in the middle, some thing around a # 40 from memory ( probably wrong )
However if you rotate the starter pinion to the top so it engages with the flywheel there is space for a 3/8 drive socket head to get in or a 1/2" drive long reach.
You can use a ring spannar but you only get about 1/12th turn at a time unless you have a cresent ( banana to some ) spannar .
It should be a dead simple job & B & S should have changed that mounting 40 years ago. the bolt just has to move 1/4" out.
One of the reasons why I hate working on B & S engines let alone the 3 spanners two screwdrivers and torx driver needed to remove the blower housing to start with plus pliers for the fuel pump hoses .
Thank you very much for your assistance

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Warning. Use two wrenches when removing and installing the starter main cable or you can destroy the starter brush holder. I sell a lot starters because of this.

Also it is easier just to use a long Torx bit to remove the starter screws especially the RH one. Here I got a long T handle Torx for this job.

mitchstein443

Threads

Searched google for "how to replace starter on a Briggs and Stratton 26hp on a zero-turn Gravely"

second link as this..