SR1433 Key and Coil question

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
SR1433 Snapper, RER, with a Briggs 287707 engine.

The tab on the coil is missing. So the kill wire is just wrapped around the coil wire. But, when you turn the keyswitch off, in a couple of seconds, the engine dies.

How is this even possible?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does it have a fuel solenoid on the carb.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it have a fuel solenoid on the carb.

As a matter of fact, it does.

So I'm guessing, the shop that worked on it before, somehow grounded the fuel solenoid through the keyswitch wiring? There's no extra wiring around the keyswitch. Could this be the extra wire going to the battery wire on the solenoid?
The wiring on this was NOT even close to factory. One reason I almost didn't take this mower in.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The solenoid receives power when the key switch is on, it retracts to allow flow to the main jet, when you turn the key off, it cuts power to it and protrudes into the main jet flow... so that's why it shuts off when you turn the key, solenoid has no power to it and the plunger is blocking the main passage.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The solenoid receives power when the key switch is on, it retracts to allow flow to the main jet, when you turn the key off, it cuts power to it and protrudes into the main jet flow... so that's why it shuts off when you turn the key, solenoid has no power to it and the plunger is blocking the main passage.
Well that makes sense but i would still rather go with magic.?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had a guy once who fixed the non working kill switch on an old non blade brake push mower by hooking up a switch to the spark plug wire and ground. He was showing me how it worked and it shocked the bat crap out of him. I laughed my butt off.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Had a guy once who fixed the non working kill switch on an old non blade brake push mower by hooking up a switch to the spark plug wire and ground. He was showing me how it worked and it shocked the bat crap out of him. I laughed my butt off.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I actually did that on a 10 series flathead.. 4.5hp, not get shocked, but hooked a toggle switch up...spliced a wire to the kill wire, ran it up the handle to my switch, and then another wire down to the sheet metal on the engine, works everytime.