sputters and dies after 30minutes of mowing

173abn

Threads
Have a C.C. 1330 w/a 12.5 hp kohler. Mower would run fine for about 30m. of mowing then would sputter and die. Thinking it was a carb issue put a new carb on it and it mowed great but after 30 or so mins. did the same thing.I could see bubbles in the fuel filter,could this be a case of vapor locking? When I would try to restart the engine would not turn over .Letting it cool down it would start and run fine for another 30 or so mins. and then do the same thing. I need help figuring this thing out. russ

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things cause this
1) fuel tank not venting- checked by removing fuel cap
2) fuel outlet in tank being blocked off by floating debris - checked by removing tank cap then blowing backwards up the fuel line or fitting alternative tank when mower stops.

To determine if it is fuel or spark, the instant the mower stops you whip off the air filter and try some fuel or starting spray directly down the carb throat.
Starts & runs a few seconds = fuel problem
Does not start or even fire = spark problem.

173abn

Threads
thank you sir. I was leaning to the tank issue. I'll look into it. On a side note,would love to visit your country...russ

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you believe in reincarnation then you only get one crack at life.
So come on down while the dollar is down.
Air fares will never be cheaper, particularly when environmental levies end up being introduced ( quite rightfully)
Just don't think about going short west as there is no water in the Darling catchment.
OTOH Lake Eyre is in flood right now, a once in 10 year event and this looks like being the highest water level in the past 100 years
We will be there in October.
The oldest inhabited lump of soil on the planet.
Because of invasion guilt the government never promotes this.
They just found middens that have been dated at 100,000 years , way before man inhabited Europe.
This will of course require yet another rewrite of the text books and challenges the "came down from Asia" theory about the indiginous population
They are now thinking that it may have been the other way around.

For those who don't know Lake Eyre is a salt pan , much like Bonnieville and up until native rights were recognised was used for much the same purpose.
Lots of world records set there some of which still stand.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You don't think it's valves out of adjustment do you? Bert?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don't think it's valves out of adjustment do you? Bert?

Depends if you take the "not turn over" to mean not rotate or not start
In either case we will find out when he posts the results of the next stoppage.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
This motor have a fuel pump on it? My JD L130 was having a similar problem a while back. Mounted a new smaller fuel filter vertical, inlet on bottom, outlet on top, new fuel pump. Cut the old pump apart and there was some crud on the little check valves. Fixed it.

173abn

Threads
Have a look see if it has a fuel pump.This is my lady friend's mower and will look at it the next time I go to town. Mr Bert there were some Aussies attached to my unit in Vietnam which was the 173 Abn.I know there are several chapters down your way.I also met some New Zealand medics that operated an aid station in BongSong.They introduced me to Fosters Lager...russ

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am on the outskirts of Sydney.
Missed conscription because I was at Uni at the time so it got defferred till graduation and by that time it was all over.
All the vet's I used to know have died, either from medical or mental problems originating in their service time.
The treatment they got from the general public when they returned was bad but the way the government treated them was nothing short of inhumane bordering on criminal.
Our governments have a very poor record when it comes to looking after ex-servicemen. My own father was made deaf by an exploding pressure pot ( he was in catering ) and he was never allowed any medical treatment because the accident happened here.
It ruined his life made it near impossible for him to get a job other than plain labouring.
I had friends parents who were on the Voyager and their compensation cases were fought tooth & nail till eventually they died.
After nearly all of them were dead the government made a very 1/2 hearted compensation offer to the remaining sailors.
Yet there was no problem finding $ 31,000,000 to change the name of the Defence Standards Lab to the Materials Research Lab for no reason other than we were no longer engaged in any wars.

dec0der

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine does the same thing except only for maybe 20 minutes. For 20 minutes it works perfectly. RTZ54".

I have done the following:

Drained all of the gas from both the tank and the carb bowl. Replaced with 100% high quality gas (no ethanol).
Removed and cleaned the carb completely both by using fishing line to clean out the tubes and by blowing compressed air through it. Nothing is blocked. Also replaced both gaskets.
Replaced the float solenoid under the carb bowl.
Disassembled and checked the fuel pump for any debris or cracks, etc. Nothing.
Replaced all of the fuel lines.
Replaced the gas cap.
Replaced the spark plugs.
Replaced both coils (ignition modules).
Changed oil and filter and ensured appropriate levels.
Changed the blades (unrelated..but just in case it was pulling too hard of a load.)

I am out of ideas. Anyone else have one?