Sprint 375 Gear-Cam

dan81

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks.

Can anyone tell me what that fork thing is? I broke the spring that holds it down and not sure if I need to replace that whole cam. It doesn't appear to do anything...

Thanks in advance!

Dan :cool:

20200127_193758.jpg

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the compression release mechanism. Yes you will have to replace the cam gear, as it is an assembly part.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Makes the little motor easier to start. Probably do without it, couple million early engines didn't have this. But that plastic cam lobe doesn't look so hot. Might run a while but for long term I'd replace it. Not a big expense.

dan81

Forum Newbie
Threads
Awesome. Thanks for the advice lads. I found a good condition, replacement 2nd hand one with oil pump + valve ends for $5.99 local. NICE!!!

Kind regards

Tinkerer200

Threads
Makes the little motor easier to start. Probably do without it, couple million early engines didn't have this. But that plastic cam lobe doesn't look so hot. Might run a while but for long term I'd replace it. Not a big expense.

Well those couple million engines which you say didn't have that compression release mechanism did have compression release provisions in the form of the "Easy Spin" cam grind which held the Intake Valve slightly open well into the compression stroke relieving compression. Even newer OHV engines still used that fairly recently in the 40 and 42 series B&S V twins for instance.
Walt Conner