spindle nuts

mark abby

Threads
2016 CC proz100s EFI 60" deck

i'm trying to remove the spindle nuts. I put a 4 foot breaker bar on the nuts, and locked the blade in place with a piece of wood. I practically jumped on the bar and i can't seem to get those bottom nuts loose! i sprayed them with penetrating oil, let them soak, but they won't give. I can;t use heat because of the oil seal on the spindles.
The manuals all say they are right hand threads.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I really need to change these blades.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It most likely will a strong impact to get them loose. These spindles are using blades with round holes so the nuts overtighten from use. I go some Scags here that I have to use a 6 ft extension on the pull bar and with both feet on the deck pulling both arms rowboat the nuts loose. Even my 1300 ft\lb impact can't loosen those nuts. But most of the MTD 5/8 nuts (15/16 socket head) are usually gotten by the same impact.

And yes they are RH threaded. Once off they tighten back to 90 ft-lbs.

mark abby

Threads
It most likely will a strong impact to get them loose. These spindles are using blades with round holes so the nuts overtighten from use. I go some Scags here that I have to use a 6 ft extension on the pull bar and with both feet on the deck pulling both arms rowboat the nuts loose. Even my 1300 ft\lb impact can't loosen those nuts. But most of the MTD 5/8 nuts (15/16 socket head) are usually gotten by the same impact.

And yes they are RH threaded. Once off they tighten back to 90 ft-lbs.
thanks....i'm going out to try your suggestion now.

mark abby

Threads
well, that didn't work. i tried a mechanic's air impact tool....nothing. Then i put together an 8ft black iron pipe, 1" in diameter and pushed, pulled and swore....nothing.

i figure my last two options are either bring it to a dealer, or use a nut breaker and buy new nuts. ARGH!!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes sometimes you have go that route. If you split the nuts make run a die over the threads to clean them before installing the new nuts.

Not impacts are the same either. Until I got my AirCat 1150K I was using the 1/2" Campbell Hausfeld and my brother Snap-on 1/2" impact both were gutless wonders. He was so pissed that my AirCat walk over his pride and joy Snap-on he took a sledge hammer to it. The Campbell Hausfeld I gave away.

The main difference was twin hammer design of the AirCat. I like the muffler they use to quieten it.

Also you air supply can make a difference too. CFMs may not be there. Here my AirCat requires hi flow the couplers and plugs. When I was using M style couplers and plugs on a 100 ft 3/8" line run the pressure dropped to 20 psi when I try using it as the line was being restricted by the plugs. Now with the V style couplers and plugs I operating at 90+psi which is where the impact develops its full power. On top that not all M-style plugs are the full M style opening especially those cheap Chinese ones that HFT sells.

Last edited:

mark abby

Threads
didn't have one that size....ordered from amazon. I probably have one, but it's one of those tools you use once or twice in a life time and forget where you put it.

thanks for helping. I'm getting them saturday, i'll post back if it worked.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or break it as I did the last one I had here and now I got to get a new one. Actually it was the splitting wedge that broke. Boy those hardern nuts are bear to split. At least those MTD spindle nuts are not super hard.

But I agree some tools it seems we once in a blue moon and then can't find it later. I had to pull out a tool the other day that I haven't use in 15 yrs. Good thing I still had it as it is no longer made.

mark abby

Threads
Or break it as I did the last one I had here and now I got to get a new one. Actually it was the splitting wedge that broke. Boy those hardern nuts are bear to split. At least those MTD spindle nuts are not super hard.

But I agree some tools it seems we once in a blue moon and then can't find it later. I had to pull out a tool the other day that I haven't use in 15 yrs. Good thing I still had it as it is no longer made.

i'm hoping it will split it enough to loosen them because they have a flange on them. And i'll be sure to put never seize on them.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The trick is to remove them regularly
As Star said , they self tighten and if the blades are not kept sharp they self tighten really hard in use
If I can not get them off with my impact then I cut them off & replace them with new ones
They are not rusted tiht, they have over tightened and neversieze will not prevent that happening.

mark abby

Threads
The trick is to remove them regularly
As Star said , they self tighten and if the blades are not kept sharp they self tighten really hard in use
If I can not get them off with my impact then I cut them off & replace them with new ones
They are not rusted tiht, they have over tightened and neversieze will not prevent that happening.
my first full year of owning it. Obviously, previous owner never did that. I'l be sure to do as you suggested