Spicer axle sticking in gears

gman4dx266

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone. New here but I know a bunch of experienced folks hang out here.

Ive just purchased a '99 Model Murray rear engine rider with a 12hp Briggs I/C. Ive worked through the engine issues (hone, new rings, gasket set - done deal)

Mowed for about 15 minutes, i drive up to my chainlink fence and go to back up and the shifter feels stuck/seized. With the mower off, i can strong arm it and get it out of gear into neutral. I can put it in any forward gear and ride all day, just cant change once its in. This seems to happen more when warm (*seems*)

The transaxle is a Spicer, with an integrated brake, p/n 56191

Can anyone recommend where to start? Is there a fill port to check oil level? Could this be a brake or clutch adjustment causing the gearset to not "unload" to change ranges?

Any help is certainly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the age on that transaxle, I suspect that the shift keys are worn. I’ve rebuilt many of them, but finding a parts source is getting more and more difficult. Lately I’ve used Peerless parts, as I think, but can’t prove, that they are the same. If you do any research the company is now called Dana/Foote/Spicer and use model number 4450-3. Here is a parts breakdown for it If you have more questions post back. https://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/foote/4450-3.pdf

gman4dx266

Forum Newbie
Threads
With the age on that transaxle, I suspect that the shift keys are worn. I’ve rebuilt many of them, but finding a parts source is getting more and more difficult. Lately I’ve used Peerless parts, as I think, but can’t prove, that they are the same. If you do any research the company is now called Dana/Foote/Spicer and use model number 4450-3. Here is a parts breakdown for it If you have more questions post back. https://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/foote/4450-3.pdf

Thanks for the quick response, Rivets. Ill take a peep at the pdf breakdown and see whats what inside. Do you believe the shift keys would make it seem temperature dependent??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Very seldom heat would affect a five speed transmission, they just don’t get very hot. There are a few different things that can cause a problem like you are having. Drive pulley will not stop turning, allowing the shift keys to move. Bentinite, grease, is too old and stiff to allow internal parts to move properly. Worn internal bushings, causing shafts to be out of alignment. Before pulling the transmission for investigation, verify the the drive belt has stopped moving, with the engine running, before trying to shift. Post back if you have more questions.

gman4dx266

Forum Newbie
Threads
Very seldom heat would affect a five speed transmission, they just don’t get very hot. There are a few different things that can cause a problem like you are having. Drive pulley will not stop turning, allowing the shift keys to move. Bentinite, grease, is too old and stiff to allow internal parts to move properly. Worn internal bushings, causing shafts to be out of alignment. Before pulling the transmission for investigation, verify the the drive belt has stopped moving, with the engine running, before trying to shift. Post back if you have more questions.

Many thanks sir. I re-adjusted the linkage ever so slightly this afternoon but I believe I've uncovered wiring gremlins in the process. It started to rain me out here in Southwest FL so it had to be put on hold til tomorrow sometime.

I too had the same inkling, like trying to pull a standard in a car out of gear while moving. Just wouldnt explain how It was hard to change with the engine off, however. I was also surprised as well to find just how cool the transmission does run, barely even over ambient outside temp after doing my whole yard. Wow!