Snowplough co op

Honey

Threads
I was just asked to go in on a snowplough co-op in our neighborhood. It is $500 for the season and may increase if we get more snow than last year, what do you think?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think it would depend on the neighbors. Have you tried any kind of similiar agreements in the past?
The devil is in the details, who is going to do the plowing and who is going to hold the money?
I suppose you could try it for a year and see how it works? Does everyone have the same size driveway?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
How many are in the neighborhood?
Check with a snow plowing service and find out what they would charge to contract all the drives... see if they could give you a per snow and a per season quote... then it may be more practical to have someone else do it, just divvy up the cost... :smile:KennyV

Honey

Threads
A guy has a plough in the neighborhood, there are about 20 of us, last year it was about $50 per plough or your could pay ahead by storm, like the previous year we has 10 storms, so that is $500. And that would cover the whole storm, rather than a plough by plough basis. My neighbors aren't too bad, we have done co op gardens and stuff before.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
A guy has a plough in the neighborhood, there are about 20 of us, last year it was about $50 per plough or your could pay ahead by storm, like the previous year we has 10 storms, so that is $500. And that would cover the whole storm, rather than a plough by plough basis. My neighbors aren't too bad, we have done co op gardens and stuff before.

Lots of variables, you are talking about $500 PER PERSON PER WINTER? Jeez...I plow or blow five of my neighbors driveways, some of them really long, FOR FREE. People really are willing to pay THAT MUCH for plowing? :eek: If I could earn that much I'd buy me a newer tractor. Lets see now, five neighbors times fifty bucks times seven years...:laughing:

For $500 someone can buy a fairly powerful blower and be money ahead after the first year. Don't people help each other there? I assume you get lots of snowfall, and some of the residents are elderly, and your street isn't a public road...?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WOW ... $10,000 a season for snow removal in your neighborhood of 20...

Honey

Threads
Not a lot of people will help out without the money exchanging. Last season we paid about $50 a plough and some months we had 5 or 6 storms :( If I had the time I'd buy a plough for the mower and some chains and do my own and let the rest fend for themselves. Thanks for putting this into better perspective for me.

AndyMan

Threads
The price sounds pretty steep to me. Sounds like someone else needs to get a plow so the $500 guy will have some competition (or at least some help :smile:). You must get some pretty major storms there.

nuffer460

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not sure where in the East, you are? In my area of Western NewYork. The snowplow contractors get an up front winter payment of $450 to $500 for the whole winter. I think, that if things get really bad. Plus inches of snow above contract then they get an additional payment. $ 50.00 every time is high. Most of the guy's around here get about $35.00 to $40.00 a driveway. If you can do three driveways an hour. That's $120.00 an hour. That's allot of money per hour. If you got $120.00 an hour time just 8 hours. That would be $960.00 a day. Most guys around here plow for 12hours, that's $1440.00 a day. Your guy's would be getting around $ 2,000.00 a day or more. That's huge pay!! If you all are close together. I would see if you could get a better rate. They don't have any travel time to the next job. Just my thought.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
$500 per year x 20 years = enough money to install a heated driveway. :biggrin: