Snapper Tiller RT8S Firing When Turned Off

MGMFarmGirl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Morning,

I hope I can find some helpful advice here. I purchased a Snapper RT8S tiller at auction a few years back. I took it to a repair shop until the owner retired. I haven't been able to find a trustworthy repairman since, plus I want to learn to do things for myself once in a while! When it seemed to run for a little then die, my retired shop guy said it was the carburetor. I was able to remove it, clean it and replace it. I also replaced the plug and fuel line, etc. Here's what is happening now. The tiller runs great, but when I turn it off, while standing behind it, I see and hear a firing "shot" on the left side of the tiller. It sounds like a gun but softer. Can someone please tell me what causes it and what I can do to remedy that situation? I don't want to keep bothering the kind gentleman who's in his 90s now. Thank you!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Which engine do you have? Model and spec/type numbers.

Sounds like someone either crippled the afterfire solenoid but need to what the setup is first as it might a version without the solenoid.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The old snapper RT8 has the old vertical 8hp briggs flathead engine. It is probably just after firing in the muffler. If it just does it once at shutdown i wouldn't worry about it. Keep the air cleaned serviced as they tend to clog with dirt and then run rich.

MGMFarmGirl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you! By keeping the air cleaned, do you mean replace the air filter?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The B&S oiled foam filters are notorious for the holes in the bottom of the filter plugging the foam with dirt on tillers. You can wash and reuse the filter. Replace every couple of years

shadetree#1

Threads
And try letting it set at idle for awhile before killing the engine. (if it don't have a ABSolenoid)

or to keep the neighbors awake and active shut the engine off while it running at high RPM's and let it backfire big time.

Might get a visit from the police dept about shots being fired in the neighborhood as reported by neighbors.

Last edited: