Snapper rear engine will not start

creativexteriors

Forum Newbie
Threads
I traded a snapper for some handyman work. The husband passed and it had been in a garage for 4yrs not used. I replaced the battery, drained the old gas, shot some carb cleaner into the carb, replaced the spark plug and still just turns over. I checked for spark and it did not have spark until I removed the ground from the coil. I am not sure what to do now. Could it be a saftey switch? Does anyone know the best way to troubleshoot after the coil? I'm new to snappers but pretty mechanically inclined. Any advise would help. Thank you
I have attached the model & serial # .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
will it start with the kill wire removed?

DaveTN

Threads
If it's getting spark and gas it ought to hit a lick anyhow. Enough compression?

creativexteriors

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it's getting spark and gas it ought to hit a lick anyhow. Enough compression?
I shot some starting fluid in the carb with the coil ground disconnected and it started but will only run for 5min with choke closed. Then it spits a few times and shuts off. I installed a generic carb from amazon but not sure if I should try to adjust the carb, I don't want to adjust it and make it worse. I'm not great at troubleshooting. I bought the same carb for another mower I had and it started right up with no adjustment.

mattm55

Threads
1. You can diagnose switches with a cheap continuity tester.
2. Did you change oil? Reason is it may have dumped fuel in oil, thus contaminating oil.
3. Air filter clean or off?
4. Adjust new carb and you're on your way.
:eek:)